Forum Home Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 12:48 PM   #1
Groundhalo

Activity Longevity
0/20 5/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss4
Default Production: - The self made man?

Hi

I am a student in business at the University of Texas at austin. I will soon (5 month ish) graduate with a a BBA in management (top 10 school for that).
After some serious introspection It dawned me one morning that not only was the video game industry what I wanted to do, but that I was made for it. I always played much more games than anyone I know, and my personal history has made me a very type A - personality. The more I read about being a producer (including but not only the 'how to break into the video game industry' articles on this website) the more I feel perfect for the job.
Anyway. I happen to know a programmer that has tested his skill by making a mini game, my brother is unemployed and graduated from University of Southern California with a video game design major (I forgot what the official title is).
Finally here is my question: If I manage to get all of them together working as a team, and me as their producer, do you think making our own indie video game (I realize I'll need an artist and possibly an extra person or two) is a good way to break into the industry?
In my head this will prove I can go from scratch to release on a project as a producer and if I manage to sell it decently (through steam, or hell maybe even iphone market), it will allow me to then apply for a decent job at a somewhat larger company?

thoughts/ideas?
Old 01-30-2013, 03:20 PM   #2
tsloper
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
3/20 14/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss1880
Default Re: Production: - The self made man?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhalo View Post
If I manage to get all of them together working as a team, and me as their producer, do you think making our own indie video game... is a good way to break into the industry?
this will prove I can go from scratch to release on a project as a producer and if I manage to sell it decently ... it will allow me to then apply for a decent job at a somewhat larger company?
Yes. Do the job you want to get. That does show that you can do the job, thus should be hired. It's a good way for your friend to get hired as a junior game programmer. It's a good way for you to get hired as a junior producer. It's a good way for your brother to stop being unemployed, too.

PLEASE do not use this website's PM feature to contact me.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:43 AM   #3
Groundhalo

Activity Longevity
0/20 5/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss4

any other advice you might have for me? I'm going to try and learn some basic programming to be able to understand my programmers better.
Old 01-31-2013, 02:16 PM   #4
tsloper
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
3/20 14/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss1880

Quote:
any other advice you might have for me?
Yes. Ask good questions. And read a lot.

Old 01-31-2013, 06:17 PM   #5
Groundhalo

Activity Longevity
0/20 5/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsloper View Post
Yes. Ask good questions. And read a lot.
ha fine. then I'm going to continue right here.
- with a ragtag team of students, if I have an artist (proven he can do video 2d graphics), a programmer, a lead designer (doubles as programmer) and a sound guy. I have a full crew right?

-If I was to manage raising funds for them (I already have ideas how), What should I spend it on primarily? considering they are willing to work for free since this is mostly for their resume/future employement
Old 01-31-2013, 07:02 PM   #6
tsloper
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
3/20 14/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss1880

Quote:
1. - with a ragtag team of students, if I have an artist (proven he can do video 2d graphics), a programmer, a lead designer (doubles as programmer) and a sound guy. I have a full crew right?
2. -If I was to manage raising funds for them (I already have ideas how), What should I spend it on primarily?
2.5. considering they are willing to work for free since this is mostly for their resume
1. Well... It's possible to make a modest game of small scope with that crew. But whether it's "a full crew"? It depends. The end result will tell the tale. If they manage to make a game, then yes, it was a full crew.

2. If you don't know what you need money for, you don't need money. I suggest that you should approach this like a business. Write a business plan. Talk to your team and ask them what they would need. Then budget for that. Try to anticipate other needs before they are asked for. Assume that they need the best software, the best computers, and also each member of the team needs to have the target machine. That is to say, if the team is making iPhone games, then budget for an iPhone for each member. The newest, latest greatest iPhone.

2.5. You shouldn't spend any money on a project that isn't going to make money. Or you should spend as little as possible. And you should work hard to manage everyone's expectations for the project, including your own.

Old 02-01-2013, 07:50 AM   #7
Groundhalo

Activity Longevity
0/20 5/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsloper View Post
1. Well... It's possible to [....] to manage everyone's expectations for the project, including your own.
I think my expectations are realistic, I don't want to make the next world of Warcraft, I'd be much more interested in exploring a clever game mechanic in a reasonably well made 2D game. I appreciate the advice by the way!

My new daily concerns is how to get this on markets, steam, (although I have ideas for both I need to spend some time researching), if I need to make a legal company, and if so what are the steps to doing that. (also know how to look for that).

I feel pretty prepared for this project to really start!
let you know Wednesday (should be when I assemble the team for the first time)
Old 02-01-2013, 08:25 AM   #8
tsloper
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
3/20 14/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss1880

Quote:
if I need to make a legal company,
Not to make projects just for portfolios, no. You don't. But you do need everyone to sign a collaboration agreement.

http://sloperama.com/advice/article58.htm

Old 04-14-2013, 12:18 PM   #9
tsloper
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
3/20 14/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss1880

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alamgir hossain View Post
After reading all of your conversion just i want to say for myself " which one is the best online flat from for learning "video game"? oh Groundhalo ! . I really impressed by your post.. Just wanted to mention it Thanks.
Alamgir, PLEASE START A NEW THREAD IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION TO ASK.
Do not hijack existing threads. Locking this thread.

Closed Thread