Forum Home Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 05:39 AM   #1
rojan_neo

Activity Longevity
0/20 9/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss13
Default C++ or C# for my next FPS project??

I am planning to make a new FPS game by designing the basics of the game engine as well for my next project (I am currently studying undergraduate in computer engineering). But I am unsure whether I should be using C++ or C# along with the directx SDK. I have prior knowledge of C# and have made couple of games with it. As for C++ I have the core knowledge of C++ basics but have not been able to program any games with it.

(Just to let you know I am planning to pursue my career in game industry)
Old 07-21-2011, 07:17 AM   #2
tsloper
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
3/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1827

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojan_neo View Post
I am unsure whether I should be using C++ or C#
What are your criteria? (What factors do you use to determine which you "should" use?) Without knowing your criteria, how can anybody help you make this decision?

PLEASE do not use this website's PM feature to contact me.
Old 07-21-2011, 07:43 AM   #3
rojan_neo

Activity Longevity
0/20 9/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss13

Quote:
What are your criteria? (What factors do you use to determine which you "should" use?)
I would like to focus more on the actual game logic and physics but along the way get some average graphics because I do not have any good 3D modelers on my team. But basically I want the engine to be fast and reliable. It does not need to be multi platform so no worries there..
Old 07-22-2011, 01:50 AM   #4
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2256

C#. You know it already so you can start working on the areas you want to focus on sooner.
Old 07-22-2011, 05:43 AM   #5
rojan_neo

Activity Longevity
0/20 9/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss13

Quote:
C#. You know it already so you can start working on the areas you want to focus on sooner.
Thanks that sounds like a good advice!!
Old 07-22-2011, 05:45 AM   #6
rojan_neo

Activity Longevity
0/20 9/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss13

Quote:
If you're alright with working on a 2D game, I could use another programmer for Legendarium. I'm using C++ and SDL 1.3 for PC, Android, and iOS. I intend to use C# and XNA for an XBLA port.
It's currently pretty much in its planning stages, although I do have a decent amount of code written.
Hey!! thanks for the offer... I am more than ready to work with this 2D game of yours but what type of game is this Legendarium and could you just tell me what areas are you going to cover (like Networking, Physics)...
Old 08-23-2011, 05:05 AM   #7
David krsty

Activity Longevity
0/20 8/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss3
Default suggested Language

Learn C++. and, not only do we have to learn C++ (the easy part!) you also have to understand the OpenGL library (GLUT) or Direct3d and many other libraries you must need.
Old 08-23-2011, 08:30 PM   #8
swastiksoni

Activity Longevity
0/20 8/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojan_neo View Post
I am planning to make a new FPS game by designing the basics of the game engine as well for my next project (I am currently studying undergraduate in computer engineering). But I am unsure whether I should be using C++ or C# along with the directx SDK. I have prior knowledge of C# and have made couple of games with it. As for C++ I have the core knowledge of C++ basics but have not been able to program any games with it.

(Just to let you know I am planning to pursue my career in game industry)
Hi,
I am from Delhi, India. I can join with you for the programming part of the game as I have good skills in both c++ and c#. I have made games on c# using XNA and also made a small 3d engine on C++ using DirectX9. right now,I am working on HLSL and Unreal Engine , so if you need a programmer, You can contact me on Gmail: swastikswarnkar
Old 08-23-2011, 09:07 PM   #9
jwalters

Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss142

rojan, I would agree with yaustar that sticking with C# will help you learn more aspects of development because you already have a working background in it. Also, C# is a higher-level language than C++. That doesn't mean it's in any way better than C++, just that it takes fewer lines of code to accomplish sophisticated tasks. Of course, the fewer lines of code cost you some performance, so if you want your game to be lightning fast you may prefer C++. Also note that C++, from what I've heard anyway, is still the industry standard for games.

Personally, I've been working in C#/XNA for almost two years now and have come to enjoy the high-level capabilities of C#. But I would also be highly tempted to choose C++ for my next game 1) to see what it's like using the industry standard for a game, and 2) to work with my old love and gain a better understanding of it.

So this really is a tough choice, but hopefully you have more ideas on why you might choose one over another. Best of luck to you!
Old 08-24-2011, 12:50 PM   #10
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2256

Actually, rethinking on this now and unless you are under a time constraint, it wouldn't actually be a bad idea to do your next project in C++ as you will need to learn it eventually if you want to work in the games industry.
Closed Thread