Old 09-11-2008, 01:54 PM   #21
ronnoc10

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss350

Quote:
Originally Posted by T K View Post
I don't think it actually is "your" reign of honour, I believe "reign of honor" refers to a period of time during which honour reigns, i.e. is the prevalent idea in people's minds.
American Heritage Dictionary
reign (rān)
n.
1. Exercise of sovereign power, as by a monarch.
2. The period during which a monarch rules.
3. Dominance or widespread influence: the reign of reason.

But, I was referring to you the player, not you the character. It's your game, it's your reign.

Quote:
This fits with the ideas of comradeship and teamwork (whereas "your" reign of honour is self-centred - doesn't seem to fit the mood).
What mood? What ideas of comradeship and teamwork? All we know about the game is:
Quote:
Reign of Honor is realistic, uses traditional weapons, has the player fighting alongside allies, and introduces no innovative features. However, you truly feel that it's a fantastic game -- not all games have to innovate to be fantastic
I don't feel we can infer the mood, (directed at my own comments) the scale of the battles, immersiveness, or anything not directly stated.
Old 09-11-2008, 02:42 PM   #22
T K

Activity Longevity
0/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss13

Say what you want, fighting alongside your brothers in arms for your country, and for freedom, is neither a selfish nor a lonely sort of act. Comradeship and teamwork are ubiquitous themes in WWII stories.

And... I know what reign means. Check the third definition you listed.

For me the player "reigning" doesn't fit with the idea of being a soldier in WW2.

This IS a personal opinion, don't forget.
Old 09-11-2008, 03:59 PM   #23
dreamshade

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss87

Well, let's face it - as a bunch of people who really think about the game industry and spend a lot of time looking around it on the net, we're not the ones the bullet points are aiming at. The bullet points are really going to need to be targeted at Joe Maddenfootball who just wandered into Gamestop to do some trade-ins and happens to see the game on the shelf. He's the one who's never heard of the game and is just thinking about it.

So what kinds of things does Joe Maddenfootball think about when he sees a game? Let me try to step into his shoes for a moment.

He could be thinking: "Hmm, my roommate has Call of Duty 4, and that was cool. I wonder if this is as good as Call of Duty."

Or maybe he's thinking: "Hmm, my roommate already has Call of Duty 4, so I don't really need another WWII game. I wonder if this is just the same game."

Or he could be thinking: "Hmm, I don't really like army games. I like Madden Football. I wonder if there's any reason I would like this army game?"

So I'm gonna write one bullet point to try and lure in each of these three Joes, but none of those points can drive the other two Joes away.

Joe #1 wants a game that's similar to other army games that he likes. What drew Joe into playing other WWII games? That's a hard question for me to answer. I know that Mikey McNoobpwner likes games with thick multiplayer that let them trash talk and teabag the people that he's just blown apart, but Mikey is really more of a Halo fan than a WWII gamer. In fact, I'm going to guess that the reason that Joe liked other WWII games is that they weren't Halo - that they focused on a mature, realistic system that rewards tactics and aim over crazy maneuvers. So I'm going to spend one bullet point on the solid, authentic WWII experience.

The second Joe doesn't just want to play CoD4 again, but we've already stated that most of the things about the game are the same as other army games. But there's one thing that rarely gets exactly replicated from game to game - the story. If people watch twelve different crime dramas on primetime network TV, then they can also play different WWII games as long as the plot of the show is different. So one of my bullet points will highlight the interesting story that you'll want to hear about.

The third Joe would rather be playing Madden. That's a tough one, too. The gamer who only plays Madden might be the guy just looking for a simple, fun game that recreates something he really likes. Or he might be the guy who's really into Madden and can tell you a lot about the individual pieces of the game, but he's a little skeptical about getting into another genre. I think that both of those points say that this Joe would want a game that is easy to pick up, that isn't too intimidating, but also isn't too simple like a PopCap game or something.

So here are my three points, in the order that I think they sound most relevant to picking up the guy just walking past the box and picking it up to look at it (point two, three, and one):

* Play through the eyes of Lt. Michael Dawkins as he discovers pain, danger, and mystery beyond what he was ever told about the life of a soldier
* Pick right up into the basics of combat with the "Soldier's Action System," quickly learning over 30 weapons of the era
* Go online with up to X friends in the online campaign that mimics the tactics of actual conflict

I am curious to hear what other people think is on the mind of Joe Maddenfootball, though, as opposed as to what we just think about here.
Old 09-11-2008, 09:36 PM   #24
ronnoc10

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss350

Quote:
Originally Posted by T K View Post
For me the player "reigning" doesn't fit with the idea of being a soldier in WW2.

This IS a personal opinion, don't forget.
Yes, but I want you to buy my game! Marketing says if this game can be a success, it will open up a lot of roads for my studio!

I do understand your point. I think incorporating the games name into a selling point is a good strategy, but I didn't want to just say 'The Reign of Honor is about to being.' because that sounds to close to something from Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos.

Quote:
Say what you want, fighting alongside your brothers in arms for your country, and for freedom, is neither a selfish nor a lonely sort of act. Comradeship and teamwork are ubiquitous themes in WWII stories.
We don't know anything about the game besides what the challenge tells us. For all you know, it could be about a selfish survivalist attempting to flee from the harbingers of the Reign of Honor.

From my understanding of the challenge (and I wait patiently for Jill to lay down the executive beatdown), it's a marketing challenge, not a design challenge. The marketing department isn't allowed to just invent things to add bullets to the back of the box, they have to work with what they are given. If we are allowed to invent features, it no longer is a marketing challenge, but a design one.

Dreamshade has a good point. I've been reading the backs of the boxes I have lying around, and none of the would sell the game to me. As he pointed out the Madden (US/AU)football series, like most sports games, come out procedurally, with few innovative fetures add from year-to-year. People still buy them.
I looked to my sports games, but I do know how little they change, and haven't bought one for a long time.

FIFA '95
-Lightning Fast Gameplay- Faster Dribbling, Faster Passing, and faster shots than in '94
-New Player Controls-Pinpoint Passing Accuracy, Improved Shot Control, Even Blazing Give-And-Go's Make FIFA '95 A Whole New Game.
-New Player Artwork and Animations-Volleys, Half Volleys and New Player Artwork make FIFA More Lifelike Than Ever.
-More Aggressive Computer Opponents-Goalies Attack Breaking Forwards to Cut Off Angles. Defenders Play Tight "Heads-Up" D.
-Full Season League Mode-Multi Game Injuries, Yellow And Red Cards Suspensions And Full Player Stat Compilation.
-Customizable Victory Celebrations-You're In the Crowd With a Drum, Siren Or [lack of comma theirs] Just Wail With A GOOOALLL! (Note: this is amazing marketing right here. All you can do is hit A for a Drum, B for a Siren, or C for a goal-yell. They don't lie, but it definetly sounds better than it is.)

NHL Hockey
-The Only Game To Score With the NHL!
-Includes all 22 NHL teams and 2 all-Star teams - each skater modeled on 14 different attributes, such as scoring, skating, aggression, and rink awareness. -All the fast-paced action of real hockey - superior skating, body checks, and ballistic slap shots.
-Watch out! Slashing, holding, and tripping will earn you some time in the penalty box - if the ref sees you!
-This game has all the details down, including instant replay, scouting reports, [lack of 'and' theirs] realistic sounds -booing, cheering, clapping, and dynamic crowd reactions. (I've played this game for years, and I've never seen a scouting report...)
-Slip one past the goalie and you light up the bard - it takes sharp skills and skates to succeed in this league!

RBI Baseball '94
-Gameplay that's twice as fast [bold, underline, and italics theirs] as RBI '93 with rotoscoped animation for incredibly lifelike movement of runners, batters, and the pitcher!
-On-screen baseball card-style player pictures with their '93 statistics -MLBPA licensed, which means over 800 real players from 28 real teams.
-More and higher quality music, voices and sounds [lack of comma theirs] - featuring audio play assist by Jack Buck. (Once again, I've been playing this for years, and I have no idea what 'audio play assist by Jack Buck' is.)
-Uses the real '94 baseball schedule for a full 162-game season, playoffs and world championship.
-Showcases the new East-Central-West division structure.

Now, if you were to check these against any current sports games you have, I bet they wouldn't be that different.

As long as I'm at it, here's a bunch for WWII shooters.

Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway
The highway to hell cuts through the air in this combat epic that drops you into World War II's largest airborne operation.
Classic squad-based Brothers in Arms combat comes to a new generation of consoles with a new story that follows the 101st Airborne Division in Operation Market Garden, a daring mission to open "Hell's Highway" and swiftly end the war.
Experience new levels of interaction with the squad you command.
Watch your team cooperate like true brothers in arms.
Design attacks with a host of new units, including bazooka, mortar, and machine gun crews.
New multiplayer battles, packed with dozens of players per side, are more explosive than ever.

Brothers in Arms: Double Time
The courageous troops of Brothers in Arms have a new weapon: the Wiimote! -Brothers in Arms: Double Time lets you experience World War II like never before, with an enhanced control scheme designed specially for the Wii.
-You're dropped behind enemy lines in Normandy, where you'll fight one of history's greatest battles through 31 levels.
-Playing as Sergeants Matt Baker and Joe Hartstock, you'll lead your men through an authentic re-creation of the D-Day campaign, issuing orders and guiding your men by gesturing with the Wiimote.
-The battle scenarios have been faithfully reconstructed using official photos, eyewitness accounts, and official military After Action Reports.

Brothers in Arms: D-Day
-The heralded Brothers in Arms combat franchise comes to PSP for the first time with a D-Day campaign built specially for PSP.
-Play as two different Brothers In Arms heroes, Baker and Hartstock, in stories that cover the entire Normandy campaign with a new style of play geared toward portable gaming.
-For the first time, you can command a bazooka team and fire mortar rounds.
You'll also find new weapons, better enemy AI, destroyable cover, and teammates with new abilities.
-When you've completed the single-player mission, team up with a friend for 12 Skirmish missions in 4 co-op game modes. (This one is strange. 'When you've completed the single-player mission?' Is it not available from the start?)

Brothers in Arms: Earned in Blood
-Fight actual D-Day battles re-created using thousands of official photos, military reports, and stories from eye-witnesses in this ultra-authentic WWII shooter.
-The next chapter in the epic Brothers in Arms franchise thrusts you into the role of Sgt. Joe "Red" Hartsock, leader of the best of the best, the 101st Airborne's Screaming Eagles.
-Your goal in a series of urban missions: wipe out the last remaining enemy resistance and liberate Normandy.
-Lay down suppressive fire with your fire team, then send in your assault team to finish the job.
-Go beyond the single-player storyline and tackle co-op multiplayer missions or survive a tour of duty through perilous Skirmish Mode.

Brothers in Arms: Road to Hill 30
--Immerse yourself in the historic eight-day invasion of Normandy with more authentic sights, sounds, and action than you've ever seen before!
-As Sgt. Matt Baker, you must lead your squad of 101st Airborne Paratroopers through the French countryside, confronting tough choices that pit the success of your mission against the lives of your "brothers in arms."
-Historical events and the true stories you play through will place you on real battlefields - carefully recreated from U.S. Army Signal Corps photos, reconnaissance images, and eyewitness accounts.
-Command a three-man team using intuitive squad controls that are accessible to both hardcore gamers and soldiers on their first tour of duty alike.
Old 09-11-2008, 09:37 PM   #25
ronnoc10

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss350

Medal of Honor: Heroes
-Play as three fabled Medal of Honor heroes in this all-new saga with PSP-exclusive features.
-Take on the role of Lieutenant Jimmy Patterson, star of Medal of Honor and MoH: Frontline, in a new story set in Holland during Operation Market Garden.
-Sabotage German forces on the Italian coastline as MoH Allied Assault Breakthrough star Sergeant John Baker.
-Return to the Battle of the Bulge as Lieutenant William Holt from MoH European Assault.
-You'll encounter 12 distinct single-player environments. Six multiplayer modes offer 15 maps.
-Eight players can join for ad-hoc play, while 32 can band together online.
-You can even unlock 20 classic MoH characters to use in multiplayer.

Medal of Honor: Vanguard
-MOH: Vanguard offers a whole new way to earn your place in history in this new Medal of Honor WWII combat saga.
-You're Corporal Frank Keegan, leader of the 82nd Airborne Division.
-You'll become the driving force in the effort to free Europe as you engage in epic battles across the continent.
-This time, each mission starts in the belly of a transport plane. You'll leap to your destiny as you drop in behind enemy lines to complete the most critical missions of WWII.
-Experience historic campaigns, including Operation Husky on Sicily's shores, Operation Varsity inside Nazi Germany, and more, as you go from American paratrooper to international war hero.

Medal of Honor: European Assault
-The Medal of Honor franchise is back with its fourth installment.
-It's Europe, 1942, and you are U.S. Army Lieutenant William Holt, the first field agent of the Office of Strategic Services - OSS. Your main goal is to work with the Allied forces to liberate Europe.
-Multiple objectives leading in different directions make this latest Medal of Honor title unique.
-Your choices will shape your experience as you navigate the open battlefield.
-Historically accurate and realistic, Medal of Honor: European Assault offers nine gameplay modes across 16 maps.

Medal of Honor: Heroes 2
-The date: June 6, 1944. The location: behind enemy lines, Nazi Germany. The man: OSS Operative John Berg. The mission: Undermine the Nazi regime!
-Drop into the boots of an elite-trained paratrooper and take the enemy face-on as you attempt to swing the tide of the Western front.
-Pick up your Wii Zapper for a fully immersive experience, or introduce players with less experience by using the old-school rail-shooter mode, where the Wii moves you around and it's your job to take down the enemies.
-Then jump online for massive 32-player online battles with soldiers from all over the world.

Medal of Honor: Airborne
-You are Private First Class Boyd Travers of the 82nd Airborne Division, and it's your job to battle your way through the WWII wasteland battlefields of Europe.
-Start with the earliest paratrooper battles in Sicily and fight your way to the battles that won the war in Germany.
- You begin each mission behind enemy lines, and the airdrop is fully interactive – and intense!
-Choose your own starting point and change the way each mission goes. Once you've landed, assess the terrain to make the best tactical decision.
-Take your pick of a variety of authentic and customizable weapons, each with different characteristics, and then choose your path in the free-roaming FPS environment! (I especially like how this last one is worded, although 'free-roaming is BS.)Call of Duty: Finest Hour
-Call of Duty: Finest Hour was developed by Spark Unlimited, a new studio formed by some of the same creative masterminds behind EA's Medal of Honor series.
-In Call of Duty you will engage in a unique World War II storyline filled with challenging missions and rich battlefield environments.
-You will participate firsthand in intense cinematic battlefield conflicts as unsung heroes fighting as part of a crack squad through the chaos of battle.
-Play as three different allies, the Americans, British, and Russians.
-Call of Duty features authentic weapons, vehicles, environments, combat missions, and the real sounds of war.

Call of Duty 2
-Play through the eyes of ordinary soldiers who became our greatest heroes in Call of Duty 2, the sequel to the award-winning World War II shooter.
-Fight new conflicts and enemies across Europe, Russia, and North Africa.
-Storm the cliffs of Point du Hoc against a brutal German assault or hunt for Russian tanks surrounded by the finest men yet.
-Your fully aware fellow grunts will draw fire, lay down cover, and use a context-sensitive battle-chatter system.
-Control the plan of attack as you tackle missions and objectives in the order you see fit.
-Online, the fabled COD multiplayer modes only get better with team-based Axis vs. Allies conflicts.

Call of Duty 2: Big Red One
-Answer the Call of Duty again in Big Red One, Activision's latest episode in the critically acclaimed World War II shooter series.
-Graphics, textures and animations are richer and smoother than ever.
-Jump right into the action of the historic operations of the famed First Infantry Division in Italy, North Africa and Central Europe.
-For the first time, play through the Story Mode with the same character, running missions with your men in bombed-out villages and Nazi-infested forests.

Call of Duty 3
-One of World War II's most epic campaigns, the liberation of Paris, gets epic next-generation treatment in Call of Duty 3.
-Step into a breathtaking, seamless storyline as four ordinary Allied soldiers thrust into an extraordinary situation, the Normandy Breakout.
-An all-new close-quarters battle mechanic lets you fight hand-to-hand, rig impromptu bombs, disarm traps, and perform other keys to battlefield survival.
Branching mission paths with multiple attack routes and distinct tactical requirements let you choose to outflank your enemy or overpower him head on.
-Environmental physics means there's nowhere to hide. Cover, both yours or your enemy's, can be destroyed.
-Up to 24 can battle in team-based multiplayer with vehicles.

After compiling that list, I because curious as to the number or WWII shooters. After further research, I have come to the conclusion that the World War II shooter genre needs to die!
Bonus: Every WWII shooter I could think of or look up without trying too hard.
World War II Online: Battleground Europe
Battlefield 1942
Battlefield 1942: The Road To Rome (Expansion)
Battlefield 1942: Secret Weapons of WWII (Expansion)
Call of Duty
Call of Duty: Finest Hour (Console Port)
Call of Duty: United Offensive (Expansion)
Call of Duty 2
Call of Duty 2: Big Red One (Console Port)
Call of Duty 3
Call of Duty: Roads to Victory
Call of Duty: World at War (TBR)
Day of Defeat
Day of Defeat: Source
Brothers in Arms: Earned in Blood
Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway
Brothers in Arms: D-Day
Brothers in Arms: Art of War
Brothers in Arms: Double Time
Brothers in Arms (N-Gage)
Brothers in Arms DS
Castle Wolfenstein
Beyond Castle Wolfenstein
Wolfenstein 3D
Spear of Destiny
Return to Castle Wolfenstein
Wolfenstein:Enemy Territory
Wolfenstein
Medal of Honor
Medal of Honor: Underground
Medal of Honor: Allied Assault
Medal of Honor: Allied Assault: Spearhead (Expansion)
Medal of Honor: Allied Assault: Breakthrough (Expansion)
Medal of Honor: Frontline
Medal of Honor: Rising Sun
Medal of Honor: Infiltrator
Medal of Honor: Pacific Assault
Medal of Honor: European Assault
Medal of Honor: Heroes
Medal of Honor: Vanguard
Medal of Honor: Airborne
Medal of Honor: Heroes 2
Red Orchestra: Combined Arms
Red Orchestra: Ostfront 41-45
Hidden & Dangerous
Hidden & Dangerous 2
Deadly Dozen
Deadly Dozen: Pacific Theater
Commandos: Behind Enemy Lines
Commandos: Beyond the Call of Duty
Commandos 2: Men of Courage
Commandos 3: Destination Berlin
Commandos: Strike Force
Hour of Victory
World War II Combat: Road to Berlin
World War II Combat: Iwo Jima
WWII Normandy
WWII GI
Sniper Elite
History Channel: Battle for the Pacific
Turning Point: Fall of Liberty
Velvet Assassin (TBR)
Combat Elite: WWII Paratroopers
Schwarzenberg (TBR)
World War II Sniper: Call to Victory
Saboteur (TBR)
Men of War

Anyone who comes to the conclusion that I have too much time on my hands can keep it to themselves > : (
Old 09-11-2008, 11:26 PM   #26
Adrir
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1461

Wow, thanks for sharing that reasearch with us ronnoc10! This will come in really useful, for me at least!
Old 09-11-2008, 11:42 PM   #27
Protector one

Activity Longevity
2/20 17/20
Today Posts
2/11 ssssss685

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamshade View Post
He could be thinking: "Hmm, my roommate has Call of Duty 4, and that was cool. I wonder if this is as good as Call of Duty."
* This game is better than Call of Duty 4!
* Or at least as good as!
* But we have Nazis!

And Ronnoc, that's not fair. Four out of those five Commandos titles weren't even shooters.
Old 09-11-2008, 11:59 PM   #28
ronnoc10

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss350

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protector one View Post
* This game is better than Call of Duty 4!
* Or at least as good as!
* But we have Nazis!

And Ronnoc, that's not fair. Four out of those five Commandos titles weren't even shooters.
I wasn't sure about them. I knew the last one was, but then I started to get them confused with Commando.
Old 09-12-2008, 05:11 AM   #29
Protector one

Activity Longevity
2/20 17/20
Today Posts
2/11 ssssss685

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnoc10 View Post
I wasn't sure about them. I knew the last one was, but then I started to get them confused with Commando.
The Green Baret actually looked (and talked) like a bad extra from a Schwarzenegger movie, so I don't blame you. :P

I'll be going away for a week tomorrow (sunny Greece, here I come!), so I'll be wrapping up the challenge RIGHT HERE, RIGHT NOW!

Here are my bullet points for Reign of Honor:

* The most feature-packed WWII experience this side of 1945!
* Relive some of the most intense battles ever fought!
* Fight your way to glory, in intense single player or online multiplayer battles!

...and for Region of Honor:

* Try to find the REGION OF HONOR set against a late 1970s WWII background!
* Experience intense gameplay you have NEVER... um, EXPERIENCED before!
* FEATURES many different REGIONS and voice-work by pop-sensation J. DUFFY!

I kept it simple. I don't think there's much more you can do, really. As said before, those who already know the game will not pay any attention to the bullet points anyway.
And with that, I'm off! See you all next week! :D

Last edited by Protector one : 09-12-2008 at 05:14 AM.
Old 09-12-2008, 09:00 AM   #30
barloeverson

Activity Longevity
0/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss4

Is there any suggestion to say that the player can use vehicles in Reign/Region of Honor? That can be a big selling point if it is possible to acquire and use "authentic" WWII vehicles.
________
cheap vaporizers
________
Granny Cams

Last edited by barloeverson : 09-07-2011 at 01:18 AM.
Closed Thread