Get the latest Education e-news

Old 03-03-2008, 02:32 PM   #1
eferaga

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss33
Default 3D Artist

Hello, my doubt is what i have to study to break as D artist or animator in the game industry, and what is the diference between game programming career and game develpment, also i want to know if programmers build worlds, and make 3D objects, and visual things?
eferaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 03:32 AM   #2
Adrir
Administrator

Activity Longevity
1/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1467

As far as I am aware, any art or technical arts degree would be sufficient. From what I have read here in the past, applications seem to be weighted on the strength of the portfolio rather than degree title.

What is the difference between a career in game programming and a career in game development? Game development is a vanilla term that covers every development position including (but not neccessarily restricted to) programming, design, audio and art.

Programmers are responsibile for programming, not for developing art assets. I'm learning programming, and I have no artistic ability beyond technical engineering drawings.
Adrir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 12:17 PM   #3
eferaga

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss33

so if i want to be a level designer(design environments), animator, model creator or texture creator i have to study wich career?
eferaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 07:41 PM   #4
britbrit

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss3

All those things that you have posted are careers my friend. Game development is the field in which you would carry out such careers. Assuming it is gaming you want to do of course. So if you want to be a character modeler, then start learning to model characters. Get a good grip on human form and proportions and anatomy. If you want to be a level designer, then work on your understanding of perspective and create yourself a mod. If you want to be a texture artist, take lots of different pictures of textures around where you live or where ever you may venture off too. Get really familiar with photoshop. THere are many different ways to study all of these different careers, I have only named a few common ways.

Here, check this article out (http://www.gamecareerguide.com/featu...lio.php?page=1)

I ran across this article a few months ago. It was very informative for me and posted right here on the site! Give it a look through and it will help break down game development and the different jobs encompassed under it.

Best of Luck!
-Brit
britbrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 08:05 PM   #5
britbrit

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss3

All those things that you have posted are careers my friend. Game development is the field in which you would carry out such careers. Assuming it is gaming you want to do of course. So if you want to be a character modeler, then start learning to model characters. Get a good grip on human form and proportions and anatomy. If you want to be a level designer, then work on your understanding of perspective and create yourself a mod. If you want to be a texture artist, take lots of different pictures of textures around where you live or where ever you may venture off too. Get really familiar with photoshop. THere are many different ways to study all of these different careers, I have only named a few common ways.

Here, check this article out (http://www.gamecareerguide.com/featu...lio.php?page=1)

I ran across this article a few months ago. It was very informative for me and posted right here on the site! Give it a look through and it will help break down game development and the different jobs encompassed under it.

Best of Luck!
-Brit
britbrit is offline   Reply With Quote