Get the latest Education e-news

Old 10-04-2012, 06:14 PM   #1
Charlesmelodyc

Activity Longevity
0/20 6/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss1
Default Just asking some Questions

I apologize in advance for any mistakes that I make throughout my thread and I thank you for any help you can provide for me. Well, now that that's out of the way, I would like to say a couple of things. I am 14 years old, and I understand that this is very young to be looking for a career. I am looking to go into level design, and possibly programming (I understand this is a very broad term as I am not sure what I am looking at here). I, like every other average high-schooler, play a lot of video games. I play Team Fortress 2 on the competitive level, which is why I would love going into level designs for gaming industry. I understand that TF2 is a first person game, but I would really love looking at other genres of games that may turn out to be more interesting. I mainly like the PC gaming genre, as it is, at least from my experiance, where the most dedicated gamers are. So that brings me to my main question, where do I start, and what are the first steps to becoming a level designer? I saw on another website that becoming a video game tester was a good way to get your foot in the door, but this does not seem interesting to me (but I am open to the idea). What are some starting programs that I can get into start my level designing? Once again, Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Charlesmelodyc : 10-04-2012 at 06:17 PM.
Charlesmelodyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 01:51 AM   #2
operator1

Activity Longevity
0/20 6/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss3
Default Re: Just asking some Questions

Hi mate,i am also 14 years old and also into level designing.for level designing,I personally would recommend UDK(unreal development kit),you dont have to code much,but can make stunning levels and much much more.its used in many industries too.for modelling,3DSMAX and MAYA are great,but you need to buy.
http://www.unrealengine.com/udk/
operator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 01:54 AM   #3
operator1

Activity Longevity
0/20 6/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss3

you might also read some tutorials here:
http://www.worldofleveldesign.com/
tips: go to the tutorial section
feel free to PM or email me

Last edited by operator1 : 10-05-2012 at 02:02 AM. Reason: Adding some help links
operator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:52 PM   #4
Destin Bales

Activity Longevity
0/20 7/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss24

As a fan of TF2 I'd suggest starting with the Mod Scene. You can Google "Team Fortress 2 Modding Tools" and find a ton of information on how to make equipment, videos and more for TF2.

Starting small with a game you love and know well is the best way, in my opinion, to learn the basics.

From there you can get into more detail. I'd suggest checking out the Unity Engine or GameMaker. Both have a ton of tutorials available online to help you learn the ropes.

Lastly, here's a guide I've put together to help folks navigate finding a career in games development.

www.ineedtomakegames.com

Good luck!!

Best,

Destin
Destin Bales is offline   Reply With Quote