Forum Home Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11-01-2011, 03:14 PM   #1
cnutt
Administrator

Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss136
Post What Do You Want From The GameCareerGuide Forums?

Christian Nutt, features director of Gamasutra here. Many of you probably remember me from my Game Design Challenge posts. I'm posting today to poll you, our community members. We're in the process of updating and upgrading the GameCareerGuide forums, and we want to know what you want.

Here are some questions you can help us answer:

1. Do you like the way the forums are organized now?

Right now they're broken down by discipline (e.g. Art, Design) with Announcements, Getting Started, Collaborate, Game Studies, and Off-Topic otherwise. Does this organization make sense to you? Would something else work better?

2. Are we missing anything?

The way games are made and played has changed since GCG launched its forums. Do we need a forum for indie development? Do we need a forum for discussing tools and engines? What else? Let us know!

3. Do the forums meet your needs?

You're all here at the forums for a greater or lesser part of your time. But do they really meet your needs? Do you enjoy your time here? This is a vaguer question, but any feedback you have on what you like or don't like about the forums can go here.

Any other thoughts you have, whether not explicitly covered above -- feel free to share it.

We're going to be actively seeking feedback for the next two weeks, so give it some thought and post!
cnutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 08:46 AM   #2
artMonger

Activity Longevity
0/20 7/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss2
Default Re: What Do You Want From The GameCareerGuide Forums?

I've been looking through the forums since i found them just yesterday and have found them invaluable to my choice of switching careers into the gaming world.

I would like to see forums discussing development tools and pipelines (IE Unity, UDK, 3ds max..etc) where we can discuss and share ideas on these programs and help with questions and functionality. (yes i know i can just pop over to the programs website and get most of my questions answered there, but i learn better from following my peers as they explore and share thier ideas.. unity forums are great at this kind of community learning. It would be nice to see something like that here.

Breaking down each forum into functionality for these programs would be my second suggestion.. such as:

3ds Max|
Modeling
- Tutorials
- Competitions
- Etc.
Animation
- Tutorials
- Competitions
- Etc.
Plugins
- Tutorials
- Competitions
- Etc.
---

Thanks for the forums, and i hope the new design goes smooth.

John
artMonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 04:37 AM   #3
viniciusepiplon
De-Registered User

Activity Longevity
0/20 0/20
Today Posts
0/0 sssssssss

I would like to suggest a topic for Project Development, to talk about good ideias and suggestions on coordinating game projects.
Old 06-23-2012, 04:07 AM   #4
EvilLlama

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss282

A separate topic for people showing off portfolios for whatever their discipline is would be nice, both for posters and lurkers who want to see where they stand.

Also, maybe some sort of comments section on the features on here, similar to what gamasutra does? It would be nice to have discussions on them, rather than just being there.
Old 10-04-2012, 12:14 AM   #5
ll24llll

Activity Longevity
0/20 5/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss2

I'm new to gcg forums but there are some points i would like to mention.

-I like the category break down, Art/Programming/Design... that was the point encouraged me to register in the forum. but as vinici mentioned there's an important field missing here, Project Management.

-Considering the increasing population of indie developers, and the lack of forums on the web for this, having one would likely be a profit.

-It would be good to have Signature set up in control panel.

-also the design of the forum (mean the art) could be better i think.

thanks
ll24llll is offline   Reply With Quote