Mitch_NR

Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss6
Question Newly Graduate - Options?

Hey guys,

Here's a summary of my background:

I just graduated from Computer Programming at college level. I did really well (got great distinction). I got a job right off the bat in my colleges admissions office, as the intermediary between their computer system and the admission policies. Good pay, but I can't see myself do this indefinitely.

Next year, I'm going to university to take Game Design (University of Montreal, Canada). I'm moving in the beginning of Summer 2010, which leaves me 4 big months between the moment I move and my first semester.

I'd like to score a job as a game programmer for those 4 months for two reasons. Firstly, to get my feet wet in the industry, and secondly, to pay off my future debts .

Although I learnt Java and C# in depth at my school, C++ was never part of the menu. Lately, I've been dedicating some of my time to learning it. I've also somewhat been looking at 3D programming.

Here's some questions

1. Is there something I should be learning besides C++?

2. Which level of proficiency should I gain in C++?

3. Any other advice you can offer me in order to land that game programming job?
Mitch_NR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 06:53 AM   #2
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2254

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch_NR View Post
I'd like to score a job as a game programmer for those 4 months for two reasons.
Internship maybe, job no. It is highly unlikely that any company will hire a graduate just for 4 months.
yaustar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 08:15 AM   #3
Mitch_NR

Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss6

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaustar View Post
Internship maybe, job no. It is highly unlikely that any company will hire a graduate just for 4 months.
Fair enough.

Any advice you can offer me for getting an internship, with the time/skills I possess?
Old 06-24-2009, 03:13 PM   #4
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2254

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch_NR View Post
Fair enough.

Any advice you can offer me for getting an internship, with the time/skills I possess?
Considering you have only 4 months from today, ask game companies if there are any internships available NOW. This is also highly unlikely as get filled very quickly at the start of the year.

There is a small chance of contract jobs for Games Testing and Level Scripting/Editing being available for 3 months over the summer.

Beyond that, consider joining a decent MOD/indie game/large hobby project team to get something to add to your portfolio (you currently have one right?).
Old 06-24-2009, 03:34 PM   #5
Mitch_NR

Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss6

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaustar View Post
Considering you have only 4 months from today, ask game companies if there are any internships available NOW. This is also highly unlikely as get filled very quickly at the start of the year.

There is a small chance of contract jobs for Games Testing and Level Scripting/Editing being available for 3 months over the summer.

Beyond that, consider joining a decent MOD/indie game/large hobby project team to get something to add to your portfolio (you currently have one right?).
I'm only moving to the new town next year, so that leaves me a lot of time to learn things on my own to get ready for it. Sorry if I wasn't clear on that fact. My main concern is how I should best spend that time.

I will consider joining a game project, perhaps an open-source one. However, I learnt from several articles that for a game programming/game design portfolio, it's always best to have the games done 100% by you. This will show that I know how to complete a game from A to Z.
Old 06-24-2009, 04:41 PM   #6
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2254

Sorry, I mis-read that as 2009. In that case, a summer internship is actually a possibility. You will still need a portfolio though.

1. A scripting language like Lua would be useful.
2. If you are planning to be a games programmer, as high as possible.

Quote:
I will consider joining a game project, perhaps an open-source one. However, I learnt from several articles that for a game programming/game design portfolio, it's always best to have the games done 100% by you. This will show that I know how to complete a game from A to Z.
I would like to know which articles you read this from. While this is partially true, showing that you can work in a team environment is extremely useful and gives you something to talk about in interviews about your role and team communication.
Old 06-24-2009, 11:47 PM   #7
Claxon

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss345

Also when you participate in a team project, the quality of the game should far surpass what you can accomplish alone.
Claxon is offline   Reply With Quote