Get the latest Education e-news
 

Go Back   Game Career Guide Forums > Programming
Forum Home Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2009, 11:32 AM   #1
Mitch_NR
Junior Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss6
Question Newly Graduate - Options?

Hey guys,

Here's a summary of my background:

I just graduated from Computer Programming at college level. I did really well (got great distinction). I got a job right off the bat in my colleges admissions office, as the intermediary between their computer system and the admission policies. Good pay, but I can't see myself do this indefinitely.

Next year, I'm going to university to take Game Design (University of Montreal, Canada). I'm moving in the beginning of Summer 2010, which leaves me 4 big months between the moment I move and my first semester.

I'd like to score a job as a game programmer for those 4 months for two reasons. Firstly, to get my feet wet in the industry, and secondly, to pay off my future debts .

Although I learnt Java and C# in depth at my school, C++ was never part of the menu. Lately, I've been dedicating some of my time to learning it. I've also somewhat been looking at 3D programming.


Here's some questions

1. Is there something I should be learning besides C++?

2. Which level of proficiency should I gain in C++?

3. Any other advice you can offer me in order to land that game programming job?
Mitch_NR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 06:53 AM   #2
yaustar
Administrator
 
yaustar's Avatar

Activity Longevity
2/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2254
Location: UK
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch_NR View Post
I'd like to score a job as a game programmer for those 4 months for two reasons.
Internship maybe, job no. It is highly unlikely that any company will hire a graduate just for 4 months.
yaustar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 08:15 AM   #3
Mitch_NR
Junior Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaustar View Post
Internship maybe, job no. It is highly unlikely that any company will hire a graduate just for 4 months.
Fair enough.

Any advice you can offer me for getting an internship, with the time/skills I possess?
Mitch_NR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 03:13 PM   #4
yaustar
Administrator
 
yaustar's Avatar

Activity Longevity
2/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2254
Location: UK
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch_NR View Post
Fair enough.

Any advice you can offer me for getting an internship, with the time/skills I possess?
Considering you have only 4 months from today, ask game companies if there are any internships available NOW. This is also highly unlikely as get filled very quickly at the start of the year.

There is a small chance of contract jobs for Games Testing and Level Scripting/Editing being available for 3 months over the summer.

Beyond that, consider joining a decent MOD/indie game/large hobby project team to get something to add to your portfolio (you currently have one right?).
yaustar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 03:34 PM   #5
Mitch_NR
Junior Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaustar View Post
Considering you have only 4 months from today, ask game companies if there are any internships available NOW. This is also highly unlikely as get filled very quickly at the start of the year.

There is a small chance of contract jobs for Games Testing and Level Scripting/Editing being available for 3 months over the summer.

Beyond that, consider joining a decent MOD/indie game/large hobby project team to get something to add to your portfolio (you currently have one right?).
I'm only moving to the new town next year, so that leaves me a lot of time to learn things on my own to get ready for it. Sorry if I wasn't clear on that fact. My main concern is how I should best spend that time.

I will consider joining a game project, perhaps an open-source one. However, I learnt from several articles that for a game programming/game design portfolio, it's always best to have the games done 100% by you. This will show that I know how to complete a game from A to Z.
Mitch_NR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 04:41 PM   #6
yaustar
Administrator
 
yaustar's Avatar

Activity Longevity
2/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2254
Location: UK
Default

Sorry, I mis-read that as 2009. In that case, a summer internship is actually a possibility. You will still need a portfolio though.

1. A scripting language like Lua would be useful.
2. If you are planning to be a games programmer, as high as possible.

Quote:
I will consider joining a game project, perhaps an open-source one. However, I learnt from several articles that for a game programming/game design portfolio, it's always best to have the games done 100% by you. This will show that I know how to complete a game from A to Z.
I would like to know which articles you read this from. While this is partially true, showing that you can work in a team environment is extremely useful and gives you something to talk about in interviews about your role and team communication.
yaustar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 11:47 PM   #7
Claxon
Senior Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss345
Location: London
Default

Also when you participate in a team project, the quality of the game should far surpass what you can accomplish alone.
Claxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All times are GMT -8. The time now is 05:35 PM.






UBM Tech