Go Back   Game Career Guide Forums > Game Career Guide > Getting Started
Forum Home Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2013, 02:08 PM   #1
Shaadjd

Activity Longevity
0/20 5/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss4
Default Any resources for a beginner DIY?

Hello forums,

I was wondering if any experienced vets have some valuable resources to offer someone for a DIY project. I'm planning to go to school in 2 months but anything to help self teach myself all there is to know would be appreciated. I already have the sloperama resource for design, so I wondering if someone can link any websites for programming, art and sound. Maybe some online workshops that are free that I can use and mingle with community members? I'm willing to put forth the effort for any reading and work required with whatever is given to me. I'm a beginner in all these areas also and I can spend some money if necessary for the material.

Also, I wanted to post in the collaborate section but I figure this might be better for a DIY project or a startup team if I'm able to form one. I'm looking for some people to make a game with as well and if I can find the following; A team leader, artist(s), programmer and someone who works with sound, I'm hoping we can come together a create a game as a group. I have recently been inspired and really want to find some people who are willing to give making a game a try. Send me a private message for further details.

Last edited by Shaadjd : 02-21-2013 at 08:53 AM.
Shaadjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:13 PM   #2
tsloper
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
4/20 14/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss1782
Default Re: Any resources for a beginner DIY?

http://archive.gamedev.net/reference/start_here/
http://archive.gamedev.net/reference...res/makegames/
http://www.gamefromscratch.com/post/...developer.aspx

PLEASE do not use this website's PM feature to contact me.
tsloper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:54 AM   #3
Shaadjd

Activity Longevity
0/20 5/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss4

Thank you for your time to link resources. The first two links don't work but the last one does.
Old 02-21-2013, 02:23 PM   #4
tsloper
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
4/20 14/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss1782

Sorry about those two. Got a newer version of one of them.
http://www.gamedev.net/page/resource...velopment-r892

Old 09-18-2013, 03:56 PM   #5
Shaadjd

Activity Longevity
0/20 5/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss4

Okay, so that post gave me direction, now what about tools to actually start building a game? Do I use a game engine or learn to code and do all that stuff myself? Like do I need photoshop, a sound program and something for programmers?

Sorry if this seems like I bumping an old thread, I'm working at my own pace with wanting to create video games.
Old 09-18-2013, 04:36 PM   #6
tsloper
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
4/20 14/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss1782

Maybe this one will offer some ideas: http://sloperama.com/advice/lesson56.htm

Old 10-28-2013, 08:08 PM   #7
Shaadjd

Activity Longevity
0/20 5/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss4

Hello again! I'm back and I'm ready to start programming. I'm here because I want some advice as to which program language I should start using to begin with. Just for some info I plan to use programing for other things outside of games since I want to work with engineering and A.I, so I would like a good general language that isn't focused only on games although if a gaming language is a decent tool to teach me what I need to learn outside of games. I don't mind using a gaming language as a starter to teach me if it would also help me understand other languages that may be used for more advance things. Personally I was thinking the normal C programming language would be a good place to start... thoughts?
Old 11-06-2013, 05:24 AM   #8
JinGaming

Activity Longevity
0/20 2/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaadjd View Post
Hello again! I'm back and I'm ready to start programming. I'm here because I want some advice as to which program language I should start using to begin with. Just for some info I plan to use programing for other things outside of games since I want to work with engineering and A.I, so I would like a good general language that isn't focused only on games although if a gaming language is a decent tool to teach me what I need to learn outside of games. I don't mind using a gaming language as a starter to teach me if it would also help me understand other languages that may be used for more advance things. Personally I was thinking the normal C programming language would be a good place to start... thoughts?
Yes, C and C++ would be perfect languages to start from. They are easy to learn and somewhat still superior from other languages, specially it's Windows integration features. Wish you luck on your new journey.
JinGaming is offline   Reply With Quote