Get the latest Education e-news

Old 07-02-2012, 08:35 AM   #1
Chambers

Activity Longevity
0/20 6/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss4
Arrow Portfolio Feedback

I'm currently trying to gain some feedback on my portfolio website. I'm going into the second year of University which means come the start of the September I'll be looking for internships so any feedback would be fantastic. I know there are quite a few resources relating to portfolios which I think I've incorporated into mine, but I'd love to know how I could make it shine even more or if I've missed any key points.

I don't currently have a great deal of demo work or sample code, primarily because I'm working on the demo I'll be sending out in September when I begin the hunt for internships.

You can find the link to my portfolio here.
Chambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 08:59 AM   #2
inches

Activity Longevity
0/20 10/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss14
Default Re: Portfolio Feedback

You're on track. Here is some advice:

Run through the text on your site with a fine toothed comb. There are quite a few mistakes made on your first page that can really throw off the perception of your skills to a reader.

Add screenshots and images. The site is dark with lots of text. It's asking a lot for a user to download and potentially install a program you have written if all they are relying on is text. They have to first drum up the attention to read it and you may lose them at that point (a good thing to note for designing games in general).

Also, some studios or viewers may be Mac only, and unable to run your game in the first place. If not screenshots, a very quick and concise gameplay video really helps you not to lose that crowd.

A game on Kongregate is something you should tout a bit more if you feel it is representative of your skills; its lost in a tiny link several layers into your site.

There is no good reason to showcase your projects as "school" projects. That just means you most likely had your hand held throughout the process and sometimes can lead to people questioning exactly what was provided in the assignment and what you did yourself. Consider conglomerating the categories and removing text referencing class assignments and such.

http://gamicature.com/
inches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 09:01 AM   #3
inches

Activity Longevity
0/20 10/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss14
Default Re: Portfolio Feedback

Also, if this is the blog in your portfolio, make all the posts relevant to programming or game design. Reviews of social media tools or video streaming services don't do anything to show your skills unless you've written some sort of plug-in or data mining tool of some sort.
inches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 05:24 AM   #4
Chambers

Activity Longevity
0/20 6/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss4
Smile Re: Portfolio Feedback

Thanks a lot for the feedback, I really appreciate it. Going through and re-reading what I've written is definitely a priority as I know I have a tendency to ramble and quite often misspell or miss word things.

Regarding the images suggestion would you say that placing the images first and foremost on a page would be a better idea than having them at the bottom? Having a single category for projects wasn't something I had thought about but reading what you were saying I could see why having school projects listed could possibly be seen as a negative. They were all individual projects without feedback until they were marked however, would you suggest scrapping these and only including personal projects or just listing them all as personal works?

The game on Kongregate is probably not the best example of my work I have, but at the minute its the only released work or finished demo I have. Making it a bit more prominent could be a good idea.

As for my blog I intended it as more of a insight into me as a person which I thought could potentially give employers a better idea of who I am. Making it entirely development related may not be a bad idea though, it shows a bit more focus that way I guess.

Thanks again!
Chambers is offline   Reply With Quote