Go Back   Game Career Guide Forums > Writing
Forum Home Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2013, 09:42 AM   #1
ledhotzepper

Activity Longevity
0/20 1/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss2
Default Script in the works. How to contact developers?

Hey, everyone. I'm a screenwriter and have been dabbling in the video game world for a little while. I'm in the middle of writing a concept and script for a video game. So far, I have all of the gameplay elements figured out as well as the outline for the story and over 100 pages of actual script material(scenes, dialogue, etc.). I know I have an interesting, unique idea that could reach a wide audience, but how do I get my work into the hands of an actual company? How can I give my game a chance?
ledhotzepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 12:39 PM   #2
tsloper
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
4/20 14/20
Today Posts
3/11 sssss1782
Default Re: Script in the works. How to contact developers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledhotzepper View Post
1. I'm a screenwriter and have been dabbling in the video game world for a little while.
2. I'm in the middle of writing a concept and script for a video game.
3. So far, I have all of the gameplay elements figured out as well as the outline for the story and over 100 pages of actual script material(scenes, dialogue, etc.).
4. I know I have an interesting, unique idea that could reach a wide audience
5. how do I get my work into the hands of an actual company?
6. Subject: Script in the works. How to contact developers?
7. How can I give my game a chance?
1. When you say "dabbling," does that mean you've worked on any actual projects (games being developed by someone), or that you've been doing amateur game designs and/or game stories?

2. So it's a story-based game. Do you know who the target audience is? Do you know the ideal platform(s) for the game? Have you written a competitive analysis?

3. So you have a partial GDD, then. You also need an elevator pitch, a 2-page concept doc, a treatment, and a PowerPoint. See FAQs 2 and 13 on my website (see my sig).

4. Now all you need is a way to convince others of that. See FAQ 31 on my site.

5. See FAQ 21 on my site.

6.a. In the game industry, we care less about "scripts" and more about GDDs and "game concepts." Story ≠ game.

6.b. It's useless to pitch to a developer. The party you need to pitch to is a publisher. See FAQ 21.

7. Have awesome credits as a writer (be "somebody"), and have some credits in some indie games, and network like crazy. Read FAQs 54 and 63 and 32.

PLEASE do not use this website's PM feature to contact me.
tsloper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 01:15 PM   #3
ledhotzepper

Activity Longevity
0/20 1/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsloper View Post
3. So you have a partial GDD, then. You also need an elevator pitch, a 2-page concept doc, a treatment, and a PowerPoint. See FAQs 2 and 13 on my website (see my sig).
I noticed some things in the 2nd section of the FAQ:
"After powering up (or booting), is there a title screen, what does it look like, is there an options screen, what are the choices, is there an animated sequence, can it be bypassed and how...

Then, when the game begins, we see our hero appear in a scene. Describe the scene and what happens next. If nothing happens until the user does something, describe what the user's options are and what happens as a result of all possible actions. Keep in mind that most games to some extent are controlled by the user. The hero doesn't automatically do anything; the user, when playing the game optimally, might cause the hero to do such-and-such an act, which would cause the computer-controlled enemy to do this, and the user's options are to do X and Y...

Describe the A.I. of the computerized opponent(s), if any. It is sometimes helpful to write a "walkthrough" of the game to further enhance the reader's ability to visualize the game."

Are you suggesting I write out all of the gameplay, because that's what I've been doing so far. It's just written in a script format for organization purposes. Is that what you mean by this or how much of a walkthrough should I include in the GDD?
ledhotzepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 03:41 PM   #4
tsloper
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
4/20 14/20
Today Posts
3/11 sssss1782

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledhotzepper View Post
1. Are you suggesting I write out all of the gameplay,
2. because that's what I've been doing so far. It's just written in a script format for organization purposes.
3. Is that what you mean by this
4. how much of a walkthrough should I include in the GDD?
1. I'm sorry the FAQ is apparently vague (or at least unspecific).
2. A "script format" design doc would look very odd to game industry eyes. We only use script format for, you know, cinematic sequences.
3. I'm sorry, but I find this question vague/unspecific.
4. Enough to give the reader a clear understanding of key gameplay. If a game takes 40 hours to play through to completion, it would take a very long time to read a walkthrough of the whole 40 hours! Don't walk the reader through every hour of the game!

PLEASE do not use this website's PM feature to contact me.
tsloper is offline   Reply With Quote