Forum Home Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10-25-2007, 05:27 PM   #1
lavender09

Activity Longevity
0/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss2
Smile online game designing

I am still a junior in high school and was wondering if making a multiplayer online game is different from designing a regular game like ones you play on playstations. What kind of positions is there for designing a game?
lavender09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 07:37 PM   #2
ronnoc10

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss350

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavender09 View Post
I am still a junior in high school and was wondering if making a multiplayer online game is different from designing a regular game like ones you play on playstations. What kind of positions is there for designing a game?
Well, I'm assuming you are talking about a game in a similar genre (such as a MMORPG vs. a RPG or a MMO-Shooter vs. a Shooter), and there is a large difference. The balance of a MMO is completely different than it's not-MMO brethren, and balance in a MMO is considerably more important. Level design is also completely different. Balance plays a large part in this, but there are other considerations. In WOW, the level designers had to work to provide a satisfying and rewarding experience to 50 players in a dungeon at the same time, which has no single player equivalent. PvP adds a completely new dimension to MMORPGs, and a incredibly complex balance challenge for any designer.
These are just a few examples in a nearly impossible subject to tackle. Explaining the difference between designing any two games in different genres is a difficult proposition, let alone the difference between designing two games in different mega-genres.

As for you second question:
http://www.gamecareerguide.com/forum...read.php?t=116
ronnoc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 05:05 PM   #3
Red_5

Activity Longevity
0/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss14

As an MMO level designer I think you have to consider what the area will be used for. There are certainly more different areas in an MMO the there are in a single player shooter.

In WoW you have your cities which are social hubs so you have to remember theres going to be 100s of people in that area. You have to have memorable places etc etc.

in a dungeon you have to consider other things like AOEs, will they aggro other NPCs near the party. layout of structures etc.

A good tip is to go through your favorite game and write down what you see etc. you can even draw out your favorite city in an MMO you play
Red_5 is offline   Reply With Quote