Go Back   Game Career Guide Forums > Game Career Guide > Getting Started
Forum Home Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2011, 07:53 AM   #1
Blinn

Activity Longevity
0/20 9/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss6
Lightbulb I have some ideas for a MMO game. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Hi everyone .

I wasn't sure where to post this thread, so if it's in the wrong place, feel free to move it.

I have some ideas for a MMO game. But I need to know who to talk to and what to include in my discussion. I'll give a brief description on this thread.

I'm currently in the planning and brainstorming stage. The MMO game is a fantasy steampunk game where the world is being invaded by otherworldly forces. The world's inhabitants range from humans, to typical fantasy races, like dwarves and elves, but also has anthropomorphic animals, too. The player's goal is to stop them from overrunning the world, using a wide variety of means. Some may favor close combat, while others prefer magic. Still others want to try something different and mix things up a bit.

The combat system involves the traditional Hit Point/Spell Point system. Players have a lot of options to best suit their characters. Not only does the game reward players for focusing on one sole build, but they are also rewarded for using different kinds of builds, spells, combinations, etc. The possibilities are vast when designing the character.

The character creation screen gives the player the option to add or subtract stat points from their characters. It also allows them to design their appearances at a very detailed level. Depending on the stats given, a character may have special bonuses or even gifts if some areas are very strong, and others, very weak.

There are 3 main types of magic. Elemental, Self, and the Light and Dark schools. Anyone can learn any of them without having to be associated with any faction. There are also several separate schools of magic that aren't associated with any of the 3 main types. These are miscellaneous, but contain very helpful spells that can boost the power of the main three schools. There is even a school of magic, just for the warrior-types.

The Elemental magics are split into the four elements: fire, air, water, and earth. The Self magics are Spirit, Mind, and Body. The Light and Dark Magics are self-explanatory. Players can learn more than one type of magic, but the magic is more powerful if a player focuses on a single school of magic. But there are also great rewards and bonuses if a player uses more than one type of magic.

Players can learn a large number of special skills that they can select and use during their travels, sometimes by practicing a certain strategy, other times, they can learn them when they receive instruction from special guilds and instructors. These skills are called "Specializations" and trigger at random when the player performs an action associated with the specialization. The frequency and sometimes, the strength of the specialization being triggered depends largely on the player's level, skills, and luck. Players can even teach other players how to use their own specializations, but the player that is teaching must be a certain rank in the skill that is associated with the specialization. Also, the player being taught must be able to use the skill that goes along with the other player's specialization.

An example of a specialization would be Thrifty Casting. Of course, the player needs to have a good understanding of magic in order to use it. Thrifty Casting has a chance to reduce the casting cost of any spell that is cast. The percentage of a spell's cost reduction varies, but is influenced by the same rules that apply for Specializations. There is a similar specialization called Free Casting, and the chance of that being triggered is significantly lower, but it completely removes the cost for a spell that is cast, and when casting a lot of expensive spells, it may help out a lot in the heat of battle.

Players can even combine spells, or spell-like skills together, merging the effects form both spells into one. A lot of spells when used this way, also give additional effects and bonuses. There are even some specializations that can be learned by using magic like this.

For example, in Earth Magic, there are two spells that reduce physical damage, Stone Skin, and Shield. Stone Skin reduces melee damage by adding to the player's Armor Class, the most important factor in determining how much physical damage a player or NPC will receive. Shield does the same, but for ranged weapons, like bows, thrown weapons, and spells that deal physical damage. When the player mixes these two spells together, it adds the two effects together into one casting, saving time, and Spell Points. The specialization that the player can learn if he/she mixes both these spells enough, that player will learn Heart of Stone. When selected as the player's specialization, the player has a chance to double the protection from the two spells.

Do these ideas sound interesting so far? I will put more in as time passes if there is enough interest.
Blinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 08:26 AM   #2
tsloper
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
3/20 14/20
Today Posts
3/11 sssss1842

>I have some ideas for a MMO game. But I need to know who to talk to and what to include in my discussion.

Who to talk to to accomplish what exactly? What is it you're trying to accomplish? Write a design to learn about design? Make a portfolio piece? Submit a concept to a publisher? What?

PLEASE do not use this website's PM feature to contact me.
tsloper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 08:31 AM   #3
ryan.george

Activity Longevity
0/20 12/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss130

On paper a lot of designs look intriguing.

Do you actually want to make an MMO? Or was this just an idea you thought would be neat?

Also, feature-wise, a lot of the gameplay systems and mechanics are extremely complex and would take someone even with experience a long time to scratch the surface.

ryan.george is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 09:24 AM   #4
Blinn

Activity Longevity
0/20 9/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsloper View Post
>I have some ideas for a MMO game. But I need to know who to talk to and what to include in my discussion.

Who to talk to to accomplish what exactly? What is it you're trying to accomplish? Write a design to learn about design? Make a portfolio piece? Submit a concept to a publisher? What?
I'm pretty much trying to do what most game makers are trying to do. My ultimate goal is the finished game, ready to play. Right now, I'm brainstorming ideas for the MMO game. Things will be more clear as I write more details and get a better understanding myself of what to do.

Like I said before, I'm new to the game development business. Please forgive me if I don't sound clear on what I'm trying to do.

Quote:
On paper a lot of designs look intriguing.

Do you actually want to make an MMO? Or was this just an idea you thought would be neat?

Also, feature-wise, a lot of the gameplay systems and mechanics are extremely complex and would take someone even with experience a long time to scratch the surface.
I do want to make a MMO, yes. But I've only just started. I know I have a long way ahead of me. But where better to start than on this forum? We all have to start somewhere.

As for the gameplay mechanics, I've played a lot of games in my life. I'm aware that it will most likely take a long time to think it out and put it on paper, but once I get organized, it will go much faster. Etherlords 2 was daunting to learn at first, but as time went by, it became much easier, and now, the combat system in that game is actually really simple when you think about it.

First, I'll start with the basic stats. How they work and what they do.

Last edited by Blinn : 04-07-2011 at 10:07 AM.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:46 AM   #5
tsloper
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
3/20 14/20
Today Posts
3/11 sssss1842

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinn View Post
I'm pretty much trying to do what most game makers are trying to do. My ultimate goal is the finished game, ready to play.
I guess my question was unclear.

I know why professional game developers make games -- because it's interesting work and they get paid.

I know why hobbyist developers make games -- because it's creative and you can make money on the side if you make a good game.

I know why students make games -- to learn, and to build a portfolio so they can get jobs or start game businesses.

Why are YOU trying to make a game?

Old 04-07-2011, 11:38 AM   #6
Blinn

Activity Longevity
0/20 9/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsloper View Post
I guess my question was unclear.

I know why professional game developers make games -- because it's interesting work and they get paid.

I know why hobbyist developers make games -- because it's creative and you can make money on the side if you make a good game.

I know why students make games -- to learn, and to build a portfolio so they can get jobs or start game businesses.

Why are YOU trying to make a game?
My reason is closest to #2. I'm trying to make a game because it's fun. There's actually a personal reason why I want to make it. You see, old gamers like myself are pretty tired and frustrated of all these new games that are filling the shelves every month. They just don't appeal to us. I see a lot of youtube comments on trailer videos of newer versions of the franchises we grew up with. They're very pessimistic and cynical of these new games because for one reason or another, the franchises change ownership at some point, and about half the comments I read regarding those videos show nostalgia.

We still play games from the 90s because we grew up with them. Tomb Raider, Thief, the original (Heroes of) Might and Magic games, and some others. We feel the developers actually were enjoying making these games as much as we love playing them. All these games I'm mentioning have cult followings and fanbases, with Thief being the most prolific of the ones I mentioned. We're all waiting for the day where this one game will come out and begin making memories again.

Your question actually helps me explain it better. Today's developers make games and get paid for it. The difference between our old favorites and the newer games is that back in the day, the developers of video games seemed to lean closer to #2 than #1. Today, it's the reverse, and that upsets more than a few people. When 3D0 went bankrupt and had to abandon their Heroes of Might and Magic 5 game, fans were very upset. Even today, they post comments that all say they want 3D0 to come back. It's the same story with Looking Glass Studios, the company that created Thief.

I actually read an interview paper between someone and John Van Canegham, the creator of the Heroes of Might and Magic franchise. He said that when Ubisoft acquired the franchise, his ideas fell on deaf ears, even though he made two successful franchises, both of which lasted over a decade. I believe Nival made Heroes of Might and Magic 5, though it suffered the same fate of every franchise I know when another company buys it from the original developers. It got carried away. The creatures in that game were either stereotypically designed or had ridiculously unrealistic body proportions. Heroes of Might and Magic 1 & 2 had a cartoonish storybook feel to them, but both games showed a lot of imagination and colorful design, and didn't look so cliche.

What I'm trying to do is avoid all these mistakes that the companies today are making, simply because they don't listen to the fans. The fans know best, as they are willing to pay good money for a game that they recognize and enjoy if done right. No one wants their eyes to start spinning as soon as they see the cutscenes. They bought the game to play the game. They want to have fun, not watch a movie. If they wanted graphics, they would buy a movie. Dwarf Fortress is a game that I used to play. It has text for graphics, but some people love that game and really feel like they're playing a game. There are no sound effects and there is only one looping song, but that game is doing pretty well today and I have a feeling it will have a future.

My ultimate goal is to give people something fun to play, myself included . I want to be there for people when they have high hopes for a great game. If this game concept of mine were to become reality, I would encourage the fans to contribute their own talents to the project, heck, saves us work .

There is a game engine that one can acquire for $10. It's called Garry's Mod. There is no defined goal, other than for the users to make anything they want. It's very popular because the fans really have a way to contribute, making models and objects for other people to use in their own projects. Garry's Mod is known as a Sandbox engine IIRC.

Does that answer your question?
Old 04-07-2011, 12:03 PM   #7
tsloper
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
3/20 14/20
Today Posts
3/11 sssss1842

I only asked a question so I could answer YOUR question.
Your answer is too lengthy -- I didn't read it.

What question do you have? You said you wanted to be "pointed in the right direction." Now that you're a little clearer on your own question, maybe you can state it briefly so someone can point you in the right direction.

Old 04-07-2011, 12:13 PM   #8
Blinn

Activity Longevity
0/20 9/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss6

Who should I talk about the game's specifics with? Who would you recommend?
Old 04-07-2011, 12:44 PM   #9
tsloper
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
3/20 14/20
Today Posts
3/11 sssss1842
Default Another unclear question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinn View Post
Who should I talk about the game's specifics with? Who would you recommend?
For what purpose do you want to talk about the game's "specifics" with someone?
Do you want game design help? Business help? Team formation help? Technical help? Money help? Market information?
What?

Old 04-07-2011, 06:40 PM   #10
ryan.george

Activity Longevity
0/20 12/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss130

Have you made a few games before, or is this your first?

ryan.george is offline   Reply With Quote