Forum Home Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2011, 07:08 PM   #1
ric006

Activity Longevity
0/20 10/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss3
Smile Portfolio Critique Requested

Hello all, I took some advice and fixed some problems thank you for your input could i please get a new review. Thank you for all your help

www.RickGierke.com

Last edited by ric006 : 02-09-2011 at 07:17 PM.
ric006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 08:28 AM   #2
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 19/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss2270

- Intro showing your name is still too long.
- Poor choice on backgrounds. Don't have a black background when the character is mostly dark as well.
- Buildings and perhaps some of the cars could use some bump mapping.
- Metal on the cars are far too shiny.
- Resume is un-readable and cannot be printed off.
- What is R3DP?
yaustar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 02:52 PM   #3
randy.bernard

Activity Longevity
0/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss12

Rick,

Much better in terms of keeping my attention. Since you've gone through the steps to improve your portfolio, I'll offer a few more things that I've noticed with this iteration.

Echoing Yaustar:

If the background is dark/black (the first clip of the walk cycle the dark character, the gas pump, the snow scene) it needs back-lighting or a different skydome to stand out. If you don't have the model files to edit, take it out of your reel, since they are the weakest clips.

Consider editing to the beats of music, and shorten your transitions to pace.

Since you are displaying poly-count, it would only help if you were to show an inset of your UV's unwrapped so that we could get an idea of how you pack and paint your textures. Even at the very least, include your unwraps in a stills section of your site.

Your name is listed right above the reel, so there's no real need to display it again. If you want to watermark your work for the sake of identification, put a small unobtrusive and transparent watermark in the corner that lasts for a few seconds and plays over the demo as it runs.

Take out the thank you for watching text at the end.

You've made some real progress in displaying your work, so it's only a constant evolution from here on out. And remember, as your work improves, the stuff that you may think isn't the best of the best needs to go.
Old 03-16-2011, 09:50 AM   #4
SkooterinEb

Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss49

I'm unsure about One Republic as the BGM in the reel. What about something low-key or more ambience? The intro was nice, but as soon as the vocals started it got distracting.

In looking at your resume, I would re-work your opening. It should be short and to the point about who you are and what job you are looking for. Give a short description of yourself (I like the use of passion, I mean, that's what this is about right?). It helps to use the word 'I' less, and some grammar is in need of touch up ("I work good under stress and have never been late on my deadline" should be something like "I work well under stress and consistently finish work at or before deadlines.")

Resumes are difficult, and if I find a link to a good website on artist resumes, I'll let you know. You artwork is great, keep it up!
SkooterinEb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 03:26 PM   #5
Fuchsdh

Activity Longevity
0/20 10/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss1

Since I'm not anything more than a piddling animator, I'm going to ignore the content and focus on the site.

From the get-go, I'd advise you to ditch the Wix and the flash. Having a quick-loading, clean web-site (there's not too much for the design issues in that respect) is absolutely key. Have your resume available in .pdf and .doc formats, as well as a text-based version online. There are plenty of XHMTL/CSS templates that you can muck around with even if you don't know much markup languages.
Fuchsdh is offline   Reply With Quote