Forum Home Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 07:44 PM   #1
Moojon

Activity Longevity
0/20 10/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss1
Default Where should i start with game programming ?

I want to create my own games on windows but i have Absolutely no knowledge of programming at all. i have looked on the internet about beginning programming and many places say buy books on C/C++ programming but i dont even know what that is.
Old 01-11-2011, 02:27 AM   #2
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 19/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss2270

In your case, GameMaker would be your best starting point for making games with no programming experience.
Old 07-21-2011, 09:46 AM   #3
rojan_neo

Activity Longevity
0/20 9/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss13

Quote:
I want to create my own games on windows but i have Absolutely no knowledge of programming at all. i have looked on the internet about beginning programming and many places say buy books on C/C++ programming but i dont even know what that is.
Ok! So you want to create your own game on windows So first ask yourself 2 questions:

1. Do you want to make games just for fun or do you want a career out of it?
2. Can you sit long hours on a computer coding every aspect of the game or you want a shortcut out of it?

For the first question if you answered you want to make games for fun then just carry on with gamemaker (google it and you should get plenty of information on what that is). Read on if you want to make a career out of it.....

For the second question no matter what you answer i suggest you start learning programming...
Basically start with VB.NET, C# and C and eventually onto C++, Python etc.....

Get some beginners book and you should have a decent idea where you're going with this!!!

Good Luck!!
Old 10-12-2011, 11:55 AM   #4
Serapth

Activity Longevity
0/20 8/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojan_neo View Post
1. Do you want to make games just for fun or do you want a career out of it?
This question doesn't actually matter, as the starting point is the same if you want to make a career out of it or if you are doing it as a hobbyist. We all start learning to write in English by learning the alphabet, regardless to if you want to become an English prof or a janitor in the future. Now down the road, it will very much change the direction of your development, but thats premature for now.

As to the question at hand, it's an extremely common question which cannot be answered in a short post so I wrote this guide. Hopefully you will find it useful. Long read, but should educate you enough to take your next step.
Old 10-12-2011, 02:12 PM   #5
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 19/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss2270

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serapth View Post
This question doesn't actually matter, as the starting point is the same if you want to make a career out of it or if you are doing it as a hobbyist.
To me, it kind of does as my advice will change. If a career, I generally try and steer the advice towards learning C++ as that is currently the industry standard whereas for hobbyists, C# with XNA, Python, GameMaker etc are all valid and more (arguably) enjoyable options and generally get results quicker.
Old 10-12-2011, 02:25 PM   #6
Serapth

Activity Longevity
0/20 8/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss9
Default Re: Where should i start with game programming ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaustar View Post
To me, it kind of does as my advice will change. If a career, I generally try and steer the advice towards learning C++ as that is currently the industry standard whereas for hobbyists, C# with XNA, Python, GameMaker etc are all valid and more (arguably) enjoyable options and generally get results quicker.
See, the problem with this is that C++ is a horrible horrible language to start with, no matter where you want to end up down the road. So even if the end game is programming C++ professionally, all programmers regardless to their final destination start at the same point, and that point should not be C++.

Note, I am not calling C++ a bad language. I am calling it a bad beginner language.
Old 10-12-2011, 08:39 PM   #7
tsloper
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
3/20 14/20
Today Posts
2/11 sssss1884
Default Re: Where should i start with game programming ?

Old old thread. Closing.

PLEASE do not use this website's PM feature to contact me.
Closed Thread