Forum Home Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2010, 03:27 PM   #1
onaled515

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss9
Default portfolio critque

I am an aspiring user interface designer and I would like a serious critique of my portfolio so far. I am trying to get ready for GDC 2011 and have already started applying for jobs just to see the responses i would get. I want to know if I am on the right track and what if any designs I have created are worth keeping. Please leave any comments positive or negative,but if negative please give comments on how to improve. http://taylormadedesign.daportfolio.com
also here is one that I am currently working on. thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg basketballui.jpg (64.6 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by onaled515 : 12-04-2010 at 01:29 AM.
onaled515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 07:28 AM   #2
EvilLlama

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss282

-Have UI design be a category on its own, since that's what you want to be and everything you have under there is UI related anyway

-UI design should be the first category, since it's what you want to do and your strongest work.

-Instead of categorizing by tool (Photoshop, Illustrator, etc) categorize by what it is (UI design, web design, Posters/greeting cards, etc)

-Combine your About page with your Home page. You're adding an extra step that isn't necessary else wise

-While the large portrait on the Home page is cute, I don't see why it needs to be that large especially since you're going for UI design, not character design.

-Put everything that isn't UI design, web design, or design centered in a single Misc or Other work page

-Your UI for the ocean game is awesome in that I want to play the game just from looking at the interface. If you could even ignore my earlier and have the About and Home pages be separate, but replacing the portrait with this image.

-Descriptions of the games you did UI for and a little of your thought process would be great

-A few sentences that talk about your passion for UI design in your bio would be great

-Although DA isn't a bad choice to host your site, have you considered getting your own domain name and hosting? This would allow you the freedom to design the layout of your portfolio site, thus your site would be part of your portfolio as well. This would be an important bonus for you because you want to design similar stuff for a living.
Old 12-04-2010, 07:53 AM   #3
Osmethne

Activity Longevity
0/20 10/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss45

Wvil has some great advice there. I'd also include information with your UIs as to what they do and how they are used. The LCARS design is colorful but, without knowing what anything there does, the first impression is that that the text is too small and there is a ton of wasted screen real estate. I'd add a description of each component, why it is the size and design it is, how it functions and the benefits of it over traditional buttons, text and sliders.

Get a link to your resume in the navbar, also.

Speaking of your resume... you have two years working for a game company. Of the bugs that you reported, did you recommend solutions to them? If so, were they implemented? There's probably plenty of examples from your previous job that you can use to show your understanding and mastery of UI design.
Old 12-04-2010, 02:49 PM   #4
onaled515

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss9

wow thanks alot guys. i really appreciate the feedback, not only the positive but honest feedback in general. I am glad to know that I am on the right path. This is still very much a work in progress but I will definitely use you guys advice. OK since I have you guys attention I have a few questions I really need answered. If I was going to make a fighting game interface 2d or 3d, would it be good practice to use someone else's characters for place setters like street fighter or tekken, or do i have to create my own characters even though im just doing interface design. With 3d modeling does it matter what program you use to create your models or are companies really looking to see if you know what you are doing. Also with interface design, do companies want to see a working design where it is click able?
Old 12-04-2010, 03:16 PM   #5
EvilLlama

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss282

Quote:
Originally Posted by onaled515 View Post
If I was going to make a fighting game interface 2d or 3d, would it be good practice to use someone else's characters for place setters like street fighter or tekken, or do i have to create my own characters even though im just doing interface design. With 3d modeling does it matter what program you use to create your models or are companies really looking to see if you know what you are doing. Also with interface design, do companies want to see a working design where it is click able?
1) I'm sure placeholders would be fine, as long as you clearly give credit
2) If companies are paying you to do something, you need to know what you're doing. But it doesn't matter what program you use as long as you can quickly learn the programs they want you to use
3) Do it.
Old 12-05-2010, 10:24 AM   #6
randy.bernard

Activity Longevity
0/20 10/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss12

I think one of the biggest things you could do to spruce up your site to scream "UI design" would be to design some of the graphical interface elements of the site yourself to showcase your abilities.
randy.bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 09:42 AM   #7
onaled515

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss9

ok i have more questions. when doing 3d models is it ok to use blueprints to make your models? Is that like using a reference photo? and also can you take someone else model and decontruct it to find out how they did it?
Old 02-09-2011, 07:10 PM   #8
ric006

Activity Longevity
0/20 10/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss3

as an interface designer and you want to do UI. I would spruce up more with the UI schemes than 2D or 3D. Show more of what you want to do in the industry of what your goal to be is.
ric006 is offline   Reply With Quote