tsloper
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
3/20 14/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss1882

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainn View Post
I'm reviewing my grid to make it more complete and helpfull and, at the end, I came out with the same result: Full Sail seems to be the best choice for me, for more than one reason.
Actually, the only thing that concerns me, as i told you before, are the student reviews about the quality of the school.
Now you're saying you did the decision grid and it gave you a resoundingly clear result, and now your decision is whether to scrap the whole idea because of negative stuff you've read.
So make another decision grid. We aren't going to make your decision for you. Let's say you decide not to go to Full Sail -- now what?
Your new decision grid now becomes: do that other thing? Or do Full Sail?
Adulthood is all about making decisions. You have to start now.

PLEASE do not use this website's PM feature to contact me.
tsloper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 07:21 AM   #12
Rainn

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss12

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaustar View Post
Have you looked at how much the course would cost for overseas students at Full Sail?

What are the Computer Science courses like in Italy?
Yea, it is expensive but I have some money to spend, also the exchange euro/dollar will help me.
I don't like how italian univerisities work, I don't like how the courses are and you need to spent at least 5 years to get a decent and usefull degree (5 years if everything goes in a parfect way).
For me, it is a complete waste of time :/
I'm not saying that our universities are not good, they are just not good for me actually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsloper View Post
Now you're saying you did the decision grid and it gave you a resoundingly clear result, and now your decision is whether to scrap the whole idea because of negative stuff you've read.
So make another decision grid. We aren't going to make your decision for you. Let's say you decide not to go to Full Sail -- now what?
Your new decision grid now becomes: do that other thing? Or do Full Sail?
Adulthood is all about making decisions. You have to start now.
I know you are not going to make the decision for me, I'm just looking for some help and support.
The whole life is all about making decisions but simetimes is not so bad to ask for advices before making a particular decision.
I would just like, if possibile, to clear some doubts from my mind before going on and that's why I'm here.
Thank you for your support
Rainn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 07:44 AM   #13
tsloper
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
3/20 14/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss1882

Quote:
The whole life is all about making decisions but simetimes is not so bad to ask for advices before making a particular decision.
I would just like, if possibile, to clear some doubts from my mind before going on and that's why I'm here.
But I am trying to help you, just not in the way you want. Look:
You made a decision.
Now you are contemplating changing the decision.
I only asked -- what are you going to do if you change the decision? What is the alternate option you are trying to decide? We understand that PART OF the alternate option is "not go to Full Sail" -- if you don't go to that school, then what WILL you do? What is your plan? What is it you're trying to decide between besides going to that school or not going to that school?
If you would examine this question, it will help you make this decision.

Old 11-23-2010, 08:45 AM   #14
Rainn

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss12

Quote:
But I am trying to help you, just not in the way you want. Look:
You made a decision.
Now you are contemplating changing the decision.
I only asked -- what are you going to do if you change the decision? What is the alternate option you are trying to decide? We understand that PART OF the alternate option is "not go to Full Sail" -- if you don't go to that school, then what WILL you do? What is your plan? What is it you're trying to decide between besides going to that school or not going to that school?
If you would examine this question, it will help you make this decision.
Oh wait, maybe you misunderstood me, I didn't wanted to say that you are not helping me.
It's quite the hopposite, you are helping me and you are helping me to help myself.
I just wanted to say that I was looking for help and I'm still here because I believe you are helping me.
Maybe I just suck in english eheh.

Anyway I believe your questions are probably the core of my decision/problem.
My secondary plan is to search for a valid alternative way to study in short time (alternative that I could not find), but probably I'm just scared and I'm paying too much attention on negative things rather than positive things.
Maybe I should do something that I read on a "website" ( :P ): I should follow my passion and not my (bad) feelings, burn myself in my passion and learn everything I can in the 2 years of Full Sail.
Old 11-23-2010, 10:28 AM   #15
tsloper
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
3/20 14/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss1882

Quote:
probably I'm just scared and I'm paying too much attention on negative things rather than positive things.
Now you're thinking. This is a difficult decision, no question about that. But yes, you were operating out of fear, and that's a terrible thing to do.
No decision is perfect.
No matter what decision you make, you are going to learn something.
If you go to school X, you will definitely learn a lot.
If instead you to to school Y, you will definitely learn a lot.
If you don't go to school at all, well, you will still learn, but perhaps not as well, since you are not a qualified teacher.
That's why I was trying to figure out what your alternate plan is. Not to go to school is not a good idea, when weighed against going to school.
The choice of school will never be perfect. But since you read FAQ 25 you already knew that.
And a mainstream university is better than a game school, but since you read FAQ 44 you already knew that, and you already decided you were going to go to a game school anyway. My advice is to do it (as opposed to not doing it) -- you will definitely learn a lot. But perhaps not what you think you'll learn, or the way you think you'll learn it. And that's the way life often is.

Old 11-23-2010, 02:04 PM   #16
Rainn

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss12

Quote:
My advice is to do it (as opposed to not doing it) -- you will definitely learn a lot. But perhaps not what you think you'll learn, or the way you think you'll learn it. And that's the way life often is.
Thant's extremely true.

If you don't mind I would like to talk a bit about game school/standard college, I know that there is no RIGHT school and what I wanted to do was analyze different choices and make a decision.
I read lesson 44 and I had to put in my grid something that I considered important, but I would like to know what do you think about it.
I'm talking about time.
Now, I'm 27 and I'm not so young, I read #71 and I agree that is never too late, in fact I don't feel screwed but if I can "save" a couple of years, well that would not be bad.
Here is what I was thinking:
I can't join a standard college and then join a game school for several reasons, maily because of money, so let's analyze game against standard.
Standard: 4 years - I will start next year (age of 28) and I will end up at 32
Game (Full Sail in this case): 2 years - I will start in next months (because Full Sail classes start every month) and I will end up at 29.
There are more then 2 years of difference and I believed that (assuming that I will find an entry level job after graduate) 2 years of working experience could help me in fill the education gap and also get a better portfolio.
Can this be true? Or am I analizing it in a worng way or not?
Thanks
Old 11-23-2010, 03:26 PM   #17
tsloper
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
3/20 14/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss1882

I think that if somebody doesn't start college until he's 28, I'm looking at a guy who finally got smart and realized he has things to learn. And I think that's impressive.
I think that at age 28, somebody doesn't need 4 years of college -- he's already gotten twice that in life experience.
I assume that at this time in your life, you are going to college not to get a piece of paper but to LEARN. And I think that's the right outlook.

Old 11-24-2010, 02:36 AM   #18
Rainn

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss12

I'm not sure I totally understood what's behind your words.
Maybe it's me or maybe it's because of English.

Learning is supposed to be my main goal, that's why I will go to a school instead of not go to a school.
Even if my country is mainly peace-of-paper-based (another rason why I will leave), I don't realy care about paprer, I want to learn but it is clear that, even with the help of a grid, I still have some doubts about where to study (game~standard).

So what are you triyng to say? That at this point of my life what really matters is not where I will study but the fact that I decide to study and learn? Or am I missing something?

I will remember this topis, as a lesson of life and also as a lesson fo English.
Old 11-24-2010, 07:01 AM   #19
tsloper
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
3/20 14/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss1882

What I am saying is that the degree (the piece of paper) is unnecessary at your age. Younger people need the piece of paper (the degree) in order to compensate for not having had any work experience.
But at your age, to go back to school shows that you are in it to LEARN. Not just to get a piece of paper.
And most people will respect that decision on your part.

Old 11-24-2010, 08:00 AM   #20
Rainn

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss12

Thank you for your advices.
Honestly I thinik I will reconsider my choice, judging form a different point of view.
I will rewrite my grid and better analyze also standard universities.
Maybe in something like 4 years of study I can learn and study more then the 2 years of Full Sail, maybe in these 4 years I can also use my new knowledges to make some side projects and add them to my portfolio.
Maybe a standard university will let me discover different aspect of programming, not only related to games.
I know I might appear pretty confused but I believe my mind is thinking and fosucing more now than in the past.