Old 11-04-2010, 05:33 AM   #1
Wikzo

Activity Longevity
0/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss2
Talking Feedback on my portfolio

Hi,

I recently bought a website that is going to showcase my game design portfolio: GustavDahl.net

I am not looking for feedback on the actual content, since I already know that there isn't much yet.

However, I eager to hear your opinion on the structure and information on the site. Is something missing, or should I remove some stuff? Is it a bad idea to have download links that embed Unity games in the browser? Etc.

The portfolio isn't done at all, but it would be nice to hear from the beginning if I am going in the right direction.

Thanks in advance!
Wikzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 08:36 AM   #2
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 19/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss2256

You CV needs the most work. You should provide a downloadable version and more details in the jobs/experience you listed. For example, what did you do as a Playtester? What did you write at said websites?
yaustar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 03:01 PM   #3
Osmethne

Activity Longevity
0/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss45

I see some really good stuff there.

Right off the bat, I can see that you have several completed projects. That's leaps and bounds ahead of most people who have a hundred unfinished 'great ideas' across countless notebooks and file directories. That you created them in a variety of engines is another good sign. If any of the games are edits of sample or 3rd party code, or if any are simply 3rd party code where the graphics were replaced and items were shuffled around, then remove them from the site because they taint the group.

The CV is also a good sign. The writing position and membership in local game dev groups shows passion and initiative.

It looks like you're off to a good start!
Old 11-04-2010, 06:11 PM   #4
EvilLlama

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss282

For Gravity, show screenshots of the game running, rather than just an open Blender window

You should just put your contact and online info in the About page, rather than in separate tabs

For your CV, you should have a separate category for the paid positions, if any, and put them under a Work Experience category. As yaustar said, having a short description under each position saying what you did would be helpful.

On your About page, "journy" should be "journey"

Nice portfolio and website layout--good job
Old 11-05-2010, 02:47 AM   #5
Wikzo

Activity Longevity
0/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss2

Thank you all very much. I really appreciate your feedback!

I know that is very important only to show your best work. But since I don't have a lot of completed projects yet, I have chosen to show all of them, including the Unity tutorial game I made by following a guide (Space Shooter). I plan to replace it in the future.

I have moved all the "about stuff" into the "About" tap. I have also written some some descriptions on my CV.

Regarding the lack of real screenshots for the game Gravity. The reason for me to use a picture from Blender is that I simply don't have any in-game screens, and I can't get the game to run anymore. Not very professional, I know, but I hope to make more games in the near future so I can replace them with Gravity and other semi-finished games

Again, thank you very much!
Wikzo is offline   Reply With Quote