Old 12-19-2009, 11:36 AM   #11
Siberianhusky89

Activity Longevity
0/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro View Post
It's not an easy decision, I know. I had a hard time doing it myself, but it really is part of growing up, and that's just the cost of following your own road.

- You can work at some terrible job that you hate, and spend your weekends complaining to your family. You'll likely be unhappy, and your family will know it.

- You can move away, get a job you enjoy, and fly back often on the holidays. You'll see your family less, but they'll know you're happy and be proud of your accomplishments.
Yeah... I understand... Though, I'm so damned emotional sometimes and I'll probably tear pretty hard when I do leave. >_< I hope I can at least make something of myself if I have to leave them all behind. Still, while I'm here, I might as well learn what I can.
Siberianhusky89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 02:07 PM   #12
bob

Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss297

Siberian, that post made the hair on the back of my neck go up. It sounds like the beginning of an epic rpg.

Also, here's to making something of ourselves.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 09:24 PM   #13
Siberianhusky89

Activity Longevity
0/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss156

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
Siberian, that post made the hair on the back of my neck go up. It sounds like the beginning of an epic rpg.

Also, here's to making something of ourselves.
Thanks Bob XD Cheers to that and I hope things go well for not just you, but all of us. Though, I wish I was that articulate in real life. I have a harder time expressing my emotions through words. In real life, I'm actually quite an oddball and what some may consider an "outcast". I see the World much differently than most people and don't belong anywhere because of it. Alot of people pretend they want to be like that, but if they'd ever get there, they won't cause I'm not what people would consider "professional", "charming", or "cool".

I'm a type of person who tries to stick to what he believes without trying to follow a crowd. I love things people wouldn't normally love and take things seriously things people wouldn't give two craps about like music, video games, stories, morals, ethics and a lot of subjective matters. The values for such things have deteriorated it seems. Not a lot of people seem to care whether a song is considered "good", the idea of morals, rights, wrongs, and anything that isn't fact doesn't appear to matter anymore. Quite sad in my opinion... Anyhow, I feel depressing stating all this XD But that's why I worry so much about making it, cause it feels like nobody cares for what I care about.
Siberianhusky89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 02:14 PM   #14
bob

Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss297

Siberian,

I understand why you're worried about that. Allow me to share something about myself in the hopes that you might gain some insight into your own life.

I also believe that the games I want to make are not typical of the blockbuster stuff - but that's because I think most blockbuster games suck and fail to bring people together, which should be the goal, IMO. I'm most concerned about making a game that opens people's minds or enriches the interaction between friends, instead of isolating them. If I can do that, it could be dressed up like Modern Warfare 2 for all I care and I would still be happy. And I think it'd sell well. Maybe try focusing on what you DO have in common with others than what you don't. I think the most important thing to know about life is that happiness comes from other people (imo), and that's true for everyone. I think Nintendo shares my belief about what video games should do. And even though they haven't done it exactly right, the success of New Super Mario Bros Wii is an example of how much people will like your game if it really lets them have fun with their friends. (Also, good marketing. The title is probably the best thing about it. Wii owners don't know anything about games, of course they're going to buy the new super mario bros game! That was their favorite game when they were a kid! Har har)

Don't get me wrong - I want to make a game that is so awesomely sci-fi and fantasy and philosophical that most people would say WTF, but I think you can give up the sci-fi and fantasy and keep the philosophy - subtley - and make a very popular game that reminds people to be ethical, or whatever.

However, finding the opportunity to make a big game is daunting. There are SOOOOO MAAANNYYYY people trying to become game developers. In ten years, when there are like fifty million little developers, how will one game be able to capture the attention of everyone? I don't know.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote