Forum Home Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12-08-2009, 11:37 AM   #21
cnutt
Administrator

Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss136

You could totally throw someone off with Wham's Last Christmas. That song OPENS with two repetitions of the chorus before going into the verse, and then does the chorus again. BOSS RUSH

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3354flS1KJs
cnutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 12:04 PM   #22
bob

Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss297

My god... 8 O
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 01:18 PM   #23
I lost my user name ?

Activity Longevity
0/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss1

This is by far one of the most difficult challenges ive seen on here so far...

And my first time entering so im not expecting much
I lost my user name ? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 05:46 PM   #24
Kodiak

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss243

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
Dreamshade,

The music-generated level thing is cool, but I'd be careful with it because it doesn't add anything to the game play itself. It's just an algorithm for creating random levels. You could achieve the same effect without using a song.

However, the boss that only lasts as long as the chorus is cool, and so are some of those weapons. Maybe you could have a weapon that interacts with the level song that in turn manipulates the level itself.
Bob, I totally agree. Dreamshade, perhaps you could switch your premise slightly and use the music as a tool for the player to overcome the challenges you present.

For example, in addition to using music to generate your levels, you could turn the songs stored on the player's playlists into weapons, slow enemies down, power up attributes, manipulate the environment, etc.

For example, the songs are arranged in a 'deck' which the player can select songs to assist him/her. The songs must play for a minimum period of time and can last for the total duration of the song, providing the analyzed gameplay effect throughout.

When such a powerup song has been selected, the environmental music is still used to generate the gameplay world, but the music that the player hears is from the selected song.

If there are no songs which are of benefit to the player, he/she could opt to replace all of the songs. Perhaps items within the environment could provide unique songs, increase/decrease the deck's size, reset the deck, allow the player to pick from a favourites list, etc.
Kodiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 06:30 PM   #25
bob

Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss297

Kodiak,

I LOVE that! How awesome would it be to USE YOUR FAVORITE SONGS as weapons in a game?? That would be so much fun. I think the most important creative work is in pinning down how EXACTLY it would all work together though. Good luck on that one, to whoever's idea this is.
Old 12-08-2009, 06:43 PM   #26
Kodiak

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss243

That one's Dreamshade's idea. It could be looked at as 'Magic: The Gathering, meets Doom, meets iTunes'

I think a god game could be interesting. Anyone remember how they felt when they first saw Disney's Fantasia, in particular the 'Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy' http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yg1h...eature=related? The player would embody a god in its 'creation workshop', using music to create a world/universe. Different music would provide different creation tools. Playful and light music would give access to happy and cheerful creation tools, while 'angry' music gives access to darker creation tools. The player could create both the environment and the critters that live within. The world each player creates would be dependent upon both the music that ships with the game and the player's playlist choices on his/her computer and the specific music that the player chooses to listen to while creating the world. This would lead to the creation of unique worlds as the tools accessible at any given time and their characteristics would depend upon the music playing at that very moment.

The game would take place within an online multi-player domain where other player's worlds could eventually interconnect, forming a great tapestry of creation. Players could wander around other worlds and marvel at their creativity while listening to the music that was used to create it.

Of course, there would be some digital copyright issues that would need to be sorted out, but lawyers, a couple licensing fees and a few agreements should sort that out! I hope this idea doesn't stray too far into Retro's lane. If that's the case, my lawyers will have to talk to his lawyers.
Kodiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 07:01 PM   #27
bob

Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss297

Kodiak,

The idea of certain tools being available depending on your music seems a little restricting to me. I'm not sure if you wrote down the same thing that's in your head.

About a God game though - I had the same idea. But instead of creating the actual world with music, or with musically oriented tools, I thought you could just be a demi-god tasked with introducing music to the world after the major Gods have shaped it and populated it. Your would become a sort of meistro of humanity, by dropping music into the world that would affect people's actions and feelings. Like, playing some heroic music after a small kingdom was destroyed could lead the people to rebuild, or playing "nature-y" music could revitalize the surrounding natural forces and cause plants and animals to retake the region. And there would be key heroic figures that spawned in random places throughout the land whose fate's you could guide by playing music to motivate them to puritan heroism or ambitious cunning. Something like that... putting music into a world to guide it's path. I definitely don't have the details.
Old 12-09-2009, 02:03 PM   #28
Mech

Activity Longevity
0/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss8

Anyone seen the harmonic table? Would be a pretty sweet layout for a game in my opinion.

http://www.c-thru-music.com/cgi/?page=layout_notemap

Some sorta shmup could work, if you flew at the screen, the players position on the map could trigger the midi output, making the actual music relatively simple. Items/Power ups could add DSP effects/change the midi instrument. My friend had the idea that as long as you held a button, it recorded your position, so depending on the amount of buttons available you could loop that many tracks. That turns it more into a music making device than a regular game though. Not sure how to make it purely "fun" to play. Would need guns at the least. Maybe you could shoot your way through each beat, or it could kinda be like tetris from the blocks perspective, matched to music.
Mech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 11:32 PM   #29
bob

Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss297

Cnutt,

Any word on those rules for judging?
Old 12-13-2009, 09:08 AM   #30
dreamshade

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss87

Thanks for the return thoughts. I think I recognize that I'm not going to place with my entry, but I've been stumped for anything else and have been too occupied with other stuff to think about it. What I might add to the entry is the ability for the player to fire the weapon in time with the beat for added ability.