Forum Home Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2009, 03:06 AM   #1
lightnin2211

Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss6
Default postgraduate games degree

I am a student in India about to finish a 5 year integrated MS in Software Engineering. I want to get into the games industry as a programmer. I have already done quite a bit of programming in my course. However, in terms of graphics and AI, I have little or no exposure. To rectify this and to better prepare myself, I am looking for a good masters course in games programming or games development. I have narrowed my search down to a few courses and was hoping someone would help me choose. Further, with regards to location, which country (US or UK) would be more suitable for undertaking such a course in? In my search, I have found many specific courses in the UK and rather vague or broader ones in the US. Would taking up a course in the UK hinder my chances of working elsewhere? These are the following courses I have shortlisted,

1) MSc Games Programming - University of Hull
2) Msc Game Engineering - Newcastle University
3) Msc Computer Games Technology - University of Abertay Dundee
4) MS Computer Science(Game Development) - University of Southern California
5) MS Games Design and Development - Rochester Institute of Technology

Any advice or other suggestions would be much appreciated. Also, since the industry is nascent in India, can anyone recommend some online projects I can participate in to build my portfolio?
lightnin2211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 05:17 AM   #2
Gshonk

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss831

Cue the British
Gshonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 05:45 AM   #3
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 19/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss2270

The MSc at Hull is pretty well received and recent got a Skillset accreditation. The only issue is that it is in Hull.

Q. Further, with regards to location, which country (US or UK) would be more suitable for undertaking such a course in?
A. Suitable in what way?

Q. Also, since the industry is nascent in India, can anyone recommend some online projects I can participate in to build my portfolio?
A. Where have you looked?
yaustar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 03:28 AM   #4
lightnin2211

Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss6

Quote:
Suitable in what way?
Suitable in terms of post-graduation prospects and general industry recognition. Would I necessarily be at an advantage if I studied in America, due to the concentration of games studios in that part of the world?
Old 08-14-2009, 01:18 AM   #5
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 19/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss2270

To be honest, I would have thought your biggest concern would be cost/visa.working permit issues.

UK, USA and Japan have a large number of game studios compared to other countries. Canada is not too far behind with more popping up in Singapore and India.

Recognition of courses is always going to be subjective. It is unlikely that any company would have heard of a course from another country.
Old 08-14-2009, 02:15 AM   #6
lightnin2211

Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss6

Thanks a lot for the info.

Quote:
To be honest, I would have thought your biggest concern would be cost/visa.working permit issues.
I don't quite know what to make of that. My biggest concern is twiddling my thumbs after 6/7 years of college. Which is why I'm seeking quality education.
Old 08-14-2009, 06:54 AM   #7
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 19/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss2270

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightnin2211 View Post
I don't quite know what to make of that. My biggest concern is twiddling my thumbs after 6/7 years of college. Which is why I'm seeking quality education.
Out of all the Universities you have looked, how many can actually you afford (especially the ones in the US)? After completing the course, what issues will you have with work permits/visas and working in that country if that was an option?
Old 08-17-2009, 03:39 AM   #8
lightnin2211

Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss6

Quote:
Out of all the Universities you have looked, how many can actually you afford (especially the ones in the US)? After completing the course, what issues will you have with work permits/visas and working in that country if that was an option?
Let's assume that I can afford any of the courses. If this is the case, which would be the best bet? As for visa/work permits, I cannot do much about that except present a strong case.
Old 08-17-2009, 06:16 AM   #9
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 19/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss2270

Quote:
As for visa/work permits, I cannot do much about that except present a strong case.
Yes you can do something about this. You can look at the processes involved to get a visa in each country and work out which ones are more likely to award you with one.

Quote:
Let's assume that I can afford any of the courses. If this is the case, which would be the best bet?
Out of that list, I only have experience with one of them and you are going to find this is the same with anyone. This is why I was asking for any possible restrictions to narrow down your choices (which is also the reason why I linked to Skillset). At the very least, narrow down to which country you want to study in other wise you may as well be asking what is the best food to eat.
Old 08-28-2009, 06:41 PM   #10
oddible

Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss4

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightnin2211 View Post
1) MSc Games Programming - University of Hull
2) Msc Game Engineering - Newcastle University
3) Msc Computer Games Technology - University of Abertay Dundee
4) MS Computer Science(Game Development) - University of Southern California
5) MS Games Design and Development - Rochester Institute of Technology
U of Southern Cal has a fantastic program, as does UC Santa Cruz (large faculty in games studies as well). RIT has a great program tho may be less focused on games studies and more on general usability (not that familiar with the program but know a few people there).

Univ of Wisconsin Madison has a fantastic game studies department. Georgia Tech. I'm currently at the School of Interactive Arts and Tech at Simon Frasier Univ in Vancouver. The school is a diverse interdisciplinary program but there are 3 game studies faculty.

Really, for post grad you want to find a faculty member that is doing what you want to do and hook up with them.

Hope that helps.
oddible is offline   Reply With Quote