Get the latest Education e-news

Old 08-09-2007, 10:16 AM   #1
blanktarget

Activity Longevity
0/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss1
Default Game Journalism

I have been writing for quite some time now for a newsletter for a local computer shop here in Michigan. It has been a lot of fun and made me start to wonder about breaking into gaming journalism. I, of course, am an avid gamer and I also frequently blog. Along with all this I do website design and copy for those sites fairly often with good success.

I suppose what I am getting around to is what is a good place to start to look for a part time, or full time for that matter, position in video game journalism? I believe I have the credentials to at least start off low on the totem pole and was curious if anyone here has some good suggestions for where to start looking.
blanktarget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 04:21 PM   #2
caleb.rumley

Activity Longevity
0/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss1

As far as part time goes, I haven't finished high school yet (yes, a youngster on the boards) but I have a part time writing gig with a local newspaper. I get some cash for writing, and I get to plug out an article every two weeks. Plus, I can even get games for free from company PR reps. It's pretty sweet.

Most likely if you have a local free newspaper, they'll accept you. Chances are, they don't have a tech writer anyway so you should be able to get a job there. Depends on how much work you want to do and how much money you want - right now theres no way I could possibly make a living on my job right now, but it's good practice, and I love doing it. Plus, local people in the community sometimes make comments on my stuff, which feels good.

One day I'd like to move up to another job somewhere, but of course, I have to finish high school and college first! To any pros: how important is a college degree in Games JournalisM?
caleb.rumley is offline   Reply With Quote