Go Back   Game Career Guide Forums > More Careers
Forum Home Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2007, 02:12 PM   #1
soggygrits

Activity Longevity
0/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss11
Default IT graduate, am I on the right track?

Hi everyone,

I am an animation graduate with job experience in information technology (LANs, WANs, databases, etc..) I've been in IT for three years now, and got my master's in IT management. I was wondering if the game industry are looking for people who are artists with technical experience like myself. I figure testing can't be the only way to get into game dev. I could use my IT experience to get myself in the game industry. I love video games and animation. I'm trying to switch careers from where I am now to either game or animation development. Thanks in advance!
soggygrits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 11:51 AM   #2
HagNasty
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss123

There are actually positions for technical animators that setup Rigs and skinning on characters as well as animate them.

C, C++, C#, Objective-C, Java, PHP, SQL, Javascript, Actionscript, HTML, CSS
HagNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 07:15 AM   #3
soggygrits

Activity Longevity
0/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss11

What about their network? Does the industry hire network administrators or desktop support individuals to maintain their networks, servers, and workstations?
Old 08-13-2007, 08:10 AM   #4
adibrown

Activity Longevity
0/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss3

Hiya

Yes lots of games studios in fact most will have systems administrators and IT Managers looking after the networks and general PC enquiries and help. I suppose you may find more IT technical roles at studios running MMPOG.

As an animation graduate I am surprised you havent done more in this area and are not trying to get in through this skill. All you need is a good 5 mins showreel and you could easily find a Junior Animator position. The poster before was spot on as well with regards technical animation and this area is in fact the most in demand. Why dont you fine tune your skills in this area and apply for these positions.

Being Network Admin is fine but at the end of the day about 6 weeks in you will forget you are at a games studio and it will feel just like another network admin job.
adibrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 02:09 PM   #5
soggygrits

Activity Longevity
0/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss11

Hi adi,

The tech animator job sounds like it would fit my profile. I have the Game Developer magazine about them, and the God of War 2 game has a little documentary about tech animators. I'll have to research some more about them. I am working on my reel and portfolio, but I'm trying harder to get out of my current habitat and get on the right career path where I want to go. I really want to relocate to someplace like California, or Washington, where there are plenty of studios and do some live networking and feed off the creative atmosphere. There is nothing where I am now, bu I'll have to find some work over there first. I wouldn't mind at all doing IT for MMOG studios at all, if it will give me some experience. I appreciate your reply.