Forum Home Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02-29-2008, 04:30 PM   #1
dschnizzy

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss1
Default Applying to game companies?

I was wondering if anyone from inside the game industry or who might have experience with this could answer a question.

There is a local game company that I am really interested in applying for. There are a couple of positions that I have seen from within the same company that I would like to apply in. One is Web related the other is Art related. I believe that I have a strong portfolio for both. If I submitted a resume for on position and then the other, how is this viewed in the game industry?

Since I do not have industry experience I do not want to blow any chances that I may have. If anyone knows, it would be appreciated as I'm eager to apply.
dschnizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 05:14 PM   #2
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 19/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss2270

Interesting question. I would apply for one and go through the whole process and if I was rejected, then I apply to the other. You might get questioned about it in your second interview though so make sure you have a decent answer for it.
yaustar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 05:02 AM   #3
CKeene

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss80

While it is probably polite to apply one at a time, I'm not entirely sure it's the best way. When it takes anywhere from days to months to even get a response from a developer depending on the stage of development, you could be waiting a very long time just to hear that 'no' and move on.

But the inevitable question comes up... what to do if you get multiple offers? While this is probably quite rare I did read a post by someone who recently went through the application process with no bites for about 6 months, then all of a sudden got three offers at once. He ended up politely turning down two of the employers, which... well, it's certainly not going to help your reputation if you ever need to get a job elsewhere. A lot of resources are extended to court someone to the 'you're hired' phase and companies don't (and shouldn't) like extending this courtesy only to be turned down.

No matter what you do, be honest. If a developer wants to find out if you're also interviewing with another company later that week, he can and will do it.

Last edited by CKeene : 04-29-2008 at 02:25 PM.
CKeene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 10:16 AM   #4
Claxon

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss345

Adding on what CKeene said, it may take months to hear a no, but you may also never hear it. It's is far from uncommon for a dev studio to simply ignore applications if they don't think you're worth interviewing. My suggestion would be to apply for one, then wait maybe a month, if you hear nothing, apply for the other. Just don't contradict yourself in cover letters for your application (Saying "The Web is my favorite thing in the world!" on one and "Drawing is my favorite thing in the world!" on the other, is a big no no )
Claxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 02:24 PM   #5
CKeene

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss80

I agree with Claxon, and a month is probably a comfortable compromise.

To add on to what he's said in turn, make an effort to avoid form cover letters at all costs. I know if you're applying to multiple places it may seem like a time-saver but the guy tasked with sorting through all of this email can spot a form letter from a mile away. Take the time to research the company and approach them with that personal touch.

And yes, unfortunately there is the very real possibility that a 'no' won't ever come. I know from first-hand experience.
CKeene is offline   Reply With Quote