Old 01-29-2008, 11:05 AM   #1
darklynx489

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss1
Cool University study

Hi guys,

I'm going to be taking the route to Game Programming through Computer Sciences, followed by a graduate program which gives me the degree of a Masters in Interactive Entertainment.

CS major I've found is one of the more desirable degrees for a game programmer. One question I had was, for a game programmer, what would be a good minor?

Math due to the fact that I'll be dealing with it a lot? What courses should I put my electives into?

Or would Digital Media be a better choice, since it builds on artistic skills and focuses a bit on game engines, game design, and interactive entertainment?

If I could get a response from someone in the industry that would be great.

Please, if you're still in High School, please don't answer this question unless you have asked this before and received an answer from someone in the industry. An educated guess is something I can make on my own, but a professional answer is something I'm seeking.

Thanks,
Marcus
darklynx489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 01:19 AM   #2
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2261

What are your current options for a minor?

Off the top of my head: math (Pure and Mechanics), digital media, anything to do programming even if it is in Visual Basic and physics.

If I had a list, I should be able to pick on the ones that are more suitable. However, you shouldn't choose something you know you won't enjoy doing.

Last edited by yaustar : 01-30-2008 at 01:23 AM.
yaustar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 05:25 AM   #3
dmcgraw

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss25

I've got to echo what yaustar wrote. Stay away from doing something you really have no interest in.

As far as a programming goes. It depends on what you want to do. If you want to get into the industry as a graphics programmer, then you need all the math and problem solving skills you can get. But if you love physics and you'd rather work to be a physics programmer, then a minor in physics would be helpful.

The CS curriculum will introduce you to several mathematical concepts already. A minor in math will allow you to do a little more molding with your courses to be more in line with game programming.

But do what you want to do. You can always learn what math you need on your own (which is what I've been doing).

Good luck!
LinkedIn Profile IGDA Member
dmcgraw is offline   Reply With Quote