Forum Home Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07-03-2007, 08:07 AM   #1
fullmetal84

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss54
Default Gaming interfering with homework

This article states that a study found that children's time spent gaming meant less time reading or doing homework, but not less time with friends and family. http://news.com.com/Study+Video+game...l?tag=nefd.top

As one of the proud representations of the group that didn't spend a lot of time on homework, I must disagree with the article. As much as I would love to say that my reason for not doing homework was because i was "doing research" for my future career, I must say that it was the other way around; I played games because i spent less time doing my homework. I chose not to do homework for the simple fact that homework sucked, and games kick a$$.

As for nowadays, I don't know about everyone else, but games interfere with all aspects of my life.

-Jon Manafi
fullmetal84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 01:39 PM   #2
ronnoc10

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss350

Heh, good find! Games tend to get in the way of my homework, but even more problamatic, they spend alot of time keeping me from makeing games, or otherwise being productive.

I had to laugh at the 'less time reading', though.
ronnoc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 01:46 PM   #3
fullmetal84

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss54

I know all about that interference thing. I've been trying to read up on game physics ever since the semester ended, and I had intentions to not only make an airplane physics demo, but me and a friend were supposed to either work on 2 game projects together(one for the XNA competition and one for fun), or just the one for the competition, I can't remember because I haven't talked to him at all this summer. I just feel so relieved to have no responsibilities taking over my time, I just get entirely wrapped up in games.

But hey, you know what they say about procrastinators...if you wait 'til the last minute, it only takes a minute.
fullmetal84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 08:25 AM   #4
h2osmack

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss11

I try my hardest to not play games when I should be doing something in the name of gaming
Maybe if schools made homework games!!! Whoever said you can't learn from video games is a fool. I've learn most of my history from Total War and Age of Empires
h2osmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 06:44 PM   #5
ronnoc10

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss350

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2osmack View Post
I try my hardest to not play games when I should be doing something in the name of gaming
Maybe if schools made homework games!!! Whoever said you can't learn from video games is a fool. I've learn most of my history from Total War and Age of Empires
Just as long as you don't start learning history from Warcraft or Stronghold: Legondes :P
ronnoc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 03:23 AM   #6
h2osmack

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss11

Rofl!
I still havent seen any Tiberium yet! They lied!
h2osmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 05:17 PM   #7
HagNasty
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss123

In my experience I must say that games did take away from my homework time. But thats because I had no self control. I know a lot of people who would play games and stop for homework. Honestly though, there are only so many hours in a day and that means that playing a game for an hour means an hour of something else gone. What do kids hate most? More then likely doing schoolwork outside of school. At least thats how it was for me. I regret it now to be honest and have actually changed because of it. Now I read and study more then I play and I'm not even in school any more

C, C++, C#, Objective-C, Java, PHP, SQL, Javascript, Actionscript, HTML, CSS
HagNasty is offline   Reply With Quote