Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2267

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishlostboy View Post
ya, and what is your point?
There wasn't one. What Jill Duffy said was pure fact and in addition, it wasn't directed to you but xelalehpots hence the quote block in the reply.

xelalehpots: First, where have you been the past five years? Do you know how many women are in the games industry? It's no longer dominated by men.

JillDuffy: I believe the last IGDA report on gender representation put the North American figure slightly higher for females at about 12 percent.

In other words, you overreacted to a reply not aimed at you.
yaustar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 07:08 PM   #12
Buttersprite

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss13

Dude, it's a post for an "E-mentor." I mean, come on. Some of you sound like you're working off the understanding that the OP was about discrimination in the workplace, or bias. I don't recall those things being mentioned. I've read threads like that. They're usually pretty specific.

What gets me here isn't that they're talking about women, or that you guys are talking about how it could be right or wrong, it's that we all need a lot more mentoring available as adults, especially in careers like game development. For that matter, ALL office jobs need more managers who understand more about leadership and mentoring and less about appeasement (that's just how we generally roll in white collar land). Imagine how many people would be less disgruntled after a work day were this so. Mentoring someone means being their friend and advisor. It's all about the person seeking advice or growth, not about their coworkers, or whether they want money or a free ride. It is, or should be, about helping a person bring out their best qualities. Any boss would love it if their employees all understood their strengths and best values to the company, no matter who they were.

Having worked in jobs with a 50/50 ratio, a high-female ratio, and a high-male ratio, I can get this. The reason a person might feel like a female needed an out of work female business mentor as opposed to a male when in a male oriented job/office is that males and females, even if they do the same job and like the same stuff, still sometimes express themselves differently.

I once heard a female coworker say she was concerned about asking her manager too many things in private, in case all the other guys misinterpreted her time spent alone in the boss's office, or in case he got directly fed up with her always asking questions. I think that's pretty reasonable. It sounds more reasonable to me to let a person have a business mentor instead of asking the entire office to tread on eggshells for them because they might not like all the office jokes, or not want their immediate superior to always be the one having to listen to their every thought. I don't see anything wrong with a girl wanting to talk to another girl about their job, anymore than I see a Swede wanting to talk to another Swede sometimes being wrong, or a 10 yr old wanting to go to camp with the other 10 yr olds. Maybe I'm being too generous, but, sometimes, that's all it is. Guys don't always understand girls. Girls don't always understand guys. It's no different in the office than in high school, we just like to pretend that it is.
Buttersprite is offline   Reply With Quote