Old 03-08-2008, 07:56 PM   #1
5ecret5555

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss1
Question Getting Into Video Game Journalism

Hey all, first post, woot!

Okay, I have some questions about Video Game Journalism, even after reading that amazing step-by-step guide already on this site. I guess I'll put these in numerical order instead of coming up with some clever off the wall way of asking all of these like I'm "Yahtzee" from Zero Punctuation.

1. What (honestly) is the possibility of me getting a job in this field?

2. Would living in certain areas give me an advantage in getting said job? (San Francisco, Los Angeles, New York, etc. etc.)

3. How does one build up a portfolio for such a job?

4. Relating to question #3; how would one propose doing work for a game site, or tech site?

Any input would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.
5ecret5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 07:06 AM   #2
IDesert FoxI

Activity Longevity
0/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss17

I can't answer all of those because I'm also trying to get into the field, but I'll try and help you with what I can!

Getting a staff job will obviously make geography an issue. A lot of magazines are run out of the same publishing houses which will have one main base. This is where staffers will be. Freelancing and sending in articles makes location a bit less hassle.

Exposure on the web is a great way to build a portfolio. Start a blog and focus it on video games to show off your writing skills and such. Writing for websites can just be a case of asking them if you can write for them. The worst they can say is no!

Last edited by IDesert FoxI : 03-11-2008 at 06:32 AM.
IDesert FoxI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 08:04 AM   #3
CKeene

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss80

Definitely start a blog, that should be your number one priority - get out there and do it today! Blogger, WordPress, and LiveJournal are great places to start a blog for free.

Find online gaming magazines and scrutinize their front page for a 'Write For Us' or 'Writers' Guidelines' link. Most reputable 'zines will have a page specifically for this purpose. Follow what they say. The worst thing you can do is be a rebel; it just makes you look unprofessional and uncaring, not to mention disrespectful.

Many magazines, both in print and online, offer positions of a 'work from home' nature. The problem with this is they are generally contract positions, or freelance work, both of which can be unstable. Staff positions are rarely acquired without being able to work in the office on a daily basis.

What's the chance of you getting a job? You determine that. If you're passionate and driven and have some talent to back it up, your chances are very good.

Hope this helps!
CKeene is offline   Reply With Quote