Old 05-18-2012, 10:33 AM   #1
NoUse4AName68

Activity Longevity
0/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss4
Default Web testing vs. game testing vs. software testing

Hey everyone,
So first thing. I've spent the last two and half years testing games, and I love it. The studio that I am currently working for is closing, so I am looking for a new job. I have two offers at the moment, one of them working in mobile, testing phone syncing to servers, and the other is testing a video streaming website. Both of the companies have expressed interest but haven't given me an explicit offer yet, both have asked for my desired salary. The thing is, I don't know what is a fair expectation for these fields. I've been told that game testing makes less than other software testing, but how much? I was making 18/hr as a game tester. What should I ask for in either of these fields? Is there any positives or negatives to either of these fields?

For me personally I plan on learning to code and being an engineer for a shorter term goal with the hopes of eventually being a producer or project manager long term. Do either of these help towards these goals? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 05-21-2012, 02:05 AM   #2
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2270
Default Re: Web testing vs. game testing vs. software testing

Try looking at http://www.glassdoor.com/index.htm to get an idea for salary.
Old 08-16-2012, 11:38 PM   #3
Curious Gamer

Activity Longevity
0/20 6/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss1

Hi NoUse4AName68,

This is unrelated, but I have been trying to get into the video game industry for almost a year, specifically software testing and video game testing. I was wondering if you would be willing to Skype chat with me for 15 mins ago and describe how you got into the testing industry? I would be willing to send you some sort of electronic gift card for your time, and I would very much appreciate it. Thank you very much.
Old 08-17-2012, 05:41 AM   #4
tsloper
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
3/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1882

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious Gamer View Post
I have been trying to get into the video game industry for almost a year, specifically software testing and video game testing.
Getting a game testing job is not that hard, if you aren't doing any of the well-known "stupid wannabe tricks" (http://sloperama.com/advice/lesson24.htm). Curious, are you older than 18, with at least a high-school education? And what city do you live in (how many game companies are within daily commuting distance)? http://sloperama.com/advice/lesson5.htm

PLEASE do not use this website's PM feature to contact me.
Closed Thread