Old 12-22-2011, 07:38 PM   #1
lilkev0185

Activity Longevity
0/20 8/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss2
Question Software Engineering Electives

Hey all,

This is my first post here, and I plan on spending a fair bit of time hanging out in the near future! Really great forum, and I've learnt so much just from the last few days of reading around.

I'm a mature-age student who is going back to University in February. My interests are in becoming an engine/graphics programmer in the future. I've spent the better part of the last year writing console programs in C++ and I really enjoy it. Plus, I'm a maths geek, and I can't get enough of mathematics.

I'm about to begin aBachelor of Software Engineering degree and was wondering if I could get some guidance about electives that may be the most relevant to my career path. I need to select at least 7 from Part A and then a further 4 from either Part A or B. I've bolded the subjects that I'm thinking of taking:

PART A
Operating Systems Architecture
Artifical Intelligence
Compilers and Interpreters
Advanced Algorithms & Data Structures
Machine Learning
Information Security
Computer Networks I
Computer Networks II
Advanced Computer and Network Security
Visualization, Computer Graphics & Data Analysis
*This course is geared towards scientific visualization of Biological and Engineering models - so I'm not sure how relevant it could be.
High-Performance computing
Embedded Systems Design & Interfacing
Distributed Computing
Digital System Design
Models of Software Systems
Introduction to Web Design
Advanced Human-Computer Interaction
Relational Database Systems
Advanced Database Systems
Web Information Systems

PART B
Advanced Embedded Systems
Introduction to Systems engineering
Systems Safety Engineering
Project Management
Service-Oriented Architectures
Data Mining
Spatial and Multimedia Databases
Calculus & Linear Algebra II
Analysis of Ordinary Differential Equations

There's some really interesting subjects there, and I wish I could take them all, but alas, I can't and have to make some compromises. I also have the option of completing a Dual Degree Bachelor of Engineering (Software)/Bachelor of Science (Mathematics) for an extra year of study - 5 years of full-time study. Do you guys see any value in doing this amount of mathematics? Or would I be overdoing it? It would also mean I have to drop 2 electives in order to complete the Dual Degree.

Thanks Everyone,
Look forward to the feedback!
Old 12-23-2011, 07:45 AM   #2
tsloper
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
3/20 14/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss1882
Default Re: Software Engineering Electives

Which ones do you WANT to take?
Just take whatever you most WANT to take for your electives.

BTW, I deleted your other post -- it's not good to necro old threads, and your post had an awful lot of suspiciously spammy-looking links.

PLEASE do not use this website's PM feature to contact me.
Old 12-23-2011, 02:29 PM   #3
lilkev0185

Activity Longevity
0/20 8/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss2

Yeh, no worries - they were links to government universities though! I guess I can sympathise, cause I always thought the same about American college sites, haha.

Well I guess they're more or less what I wanted to do - and as I said, wish I could do it all. Reading back now, I suppose it doesn't really matter, it will still get me where I want to go. I'll just have to decide if I really want to do a fifth year for Mathematics.

Sorry, now I'm just thinking out loud and answering my own questions... hah, thanks anyways, I needed somewhere to vent my thoughts!
Old 12-24-2011, 03:16 AM   #4
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 19/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss2270

There are some interesting subjects there. If you are imterested in mathematics then taking that many subjects is certainly not a bad thing. Pity you can't do more of Part A during Part B's time.
Old 01-04-2012, 02:24 PM   #5
Reaperc89

Activity Longevity
0/20 8/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss4

A few of those classes bring me back to my bachelors days, and I must say I do not envy you for having to take them :P (I.E. Project Management, Service Oriented Architecture. . . . .zZzZzZz).

I personally see nothing wrong with additional math. Graphics programming will cause you to make best friends with trig and linear algebra concepts, and of course calculus becomes necessary as well. Additional understanding of the physics associated with light, as well as dynamics (fluid, motion, all that fun stuff) is also extremely helpful.

Having this extra knowledge is one of the things that can help separate a great programmer from a good programmer, at least when it comes to graphics .
Old 02-02-2012, 08:23 PM   #6
Nightness

Activity Longevity
0/20 8/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss4

Might also want to consider Advanced Computer and Network Security, Distributed Computing, Introduction to Systems engineering, Project Management, Service-Oriented Architectures, and Spatial and Multimedia Databases.

Last edited by Nightness : 02-02-2012 at 08:25 PM.
Closed Thread