Forum Home Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2011, 01:35 AM   #1
paulidis

Activity Longevity
0/20 8/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss1
Default ios game interface and orientation design question

Hello all! I've developing a next-genish iOS rhythm game for the past 3 years all on my own! Almost ready to launch
First I just want to say that game design is a strict discipline on its own - Crutial part in making a successful game!

One of the things Im striving for in this game is for a minimalistic GUI during gameplay. I want to have as little to no GUI elements as possible.

Virtually all touch screen held-hand games offer a pause icon during gameplay. I take ideas from every game I play. One game - Escape From Monkey Island (I think) for iPhone is played in landscape mode. To pause gameplay, the user tilts the iphone so that it is oriented in portrait.

I think this is a clever idea. I run my ideas by my colleague. For this one he suggested not to do that - primarily because people like to play games in bed lying on their side. another argument was that its annoying for the user to have to switch orientation to pause or perform other actions.

Currently, I'm using the accelerometer to change camera position slightly in the 3d environment.

What are your thoughts? Can you please help me out in deciding what to do? thanks.

paul.
paulidis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 11:02 AM   #2
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 19/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss2268
Default Re: ios game interface and orientation design question

I would read Design of Everyday Things which talks about 'initiative' design. Tilting the iOS device on the side isn't really initiative for 'pause'.
yaustar is offline   Reply With Quote