Forum Home Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 11:10 PM   #11
jpalcoriza

Activity Longevity
0/20 9/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss1

Visual basic is also a great program for learning, there is no easy way on learning that's for sure. But I think C++ is more of the basics in programming that every programer needs to master.
Old 10-12-2011, 12:44 PM   #12
Serapth

Activity Longevity
0/20 9/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpalcoriza View Post
Visual basic is also a great program for learning, there is no easy way on learning that's for sure. But I think C++ is more of the basics in programming that every programer needs to master.
Starting with C++ for the vast majority of the population, I am talking like 99.999% of the population, is just a patently wrong thing to do.

Yes, C++ is the language of the pros ( although less and less though every day, take for example this current Bethesda job posting ) use, but that doesn't mean it's a good language to start with.

Language pitfalls aside ( and there are a ton when it comes to C++ ), the build environment is simply not conducive to a learner. Before you can even write a single line of code you have to figure out semi arcane topics like the linker and preprocessor, which to a new developer are not simple task. On top of that, most of the tutorials and references on the web are horrifically out of date ( and C++ has changed A LOT ). Finally the error messages are in a completely foreign language.

I mean, here is a simple error message ( I got from Googling ) and by no means an exceptional one... this kind of message is typical of the kind of errors C++ gives:

Code:
pascal@zetwal:~/temp$ g++ stltest.cpp
stltest.cpp: In function ‘int main()’:
stltest.cpp:9: error: no matching function for call to ‘std::vector<int, std::allocator<int> >::insert(int)’
/usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.0.3/../../../../include/c++/4.0.3/bits/vector.tcc:93: note: candidates are: typename std::vector<_Tp, _Alloc>::iterator std::vector<_Tp, _Alloc>::insert(__gnu_cxx::__normal_iterator<typename _Alloc::pointer, std::vector<_Tp, _Alloc> >, const _Tp&) [with _Tp = int, _Alloc = std::allocator<int>]
/usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.0.3/../../../../include/c++/4.0.3/bits/stl_vector.h:657: note: void std::vector<_Tp, _Alloc>::insert(__gnu_cxx::__normal_iterator<typename _Alloc::pointer, std::vector<_Tp, _Alloc> >, size_t, const _Tp&) [with _Tp = int, _Alloc = std::allocator<int>]

Make sense to you? Didn't think so.

Last edited by Adrir : 10-17-2011 at 03:39 AM. Reason: Added [CODE] tag for readability
Old 10-16-2011, 11:11 PM   #13
vasyakrutoy77

Activity Longevity
0/20 9/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss2
Default Re: New to programming

Are there any good perl tutorial site?
There are many on Google but can some one recommend good one?
Old 10-17-2011, 04:01 AM   #14
Adrir
Administrator

Activity Longevity
1/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1467

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serapth View Post
For the sake of clarity, this appears to be more of an IT / Tools Programming role, rather than a Game Programming role. There appears to be more flexibility with programming languages for such jobs.

Despite mentioning this, Serapth's point that C++ is not the 'end-all' stands. There are many examples of commercial games using other languages. For example, the massively multiplayer online role-playing game 'Star Wars Galaxies: An Empire Divided' is predominantly Java-based[1][2]. The massively multiplayer online role-playing game 'EvE Online' is written in Stackless Python [3]. Moreover, there are many examples of social games, casual games, indie games and serious games that are not made in C++.
Old 10-31-2011, 11:10 AM   #15
sangnoksu

Activity Longevity
0/20 8/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss1

I think most computer science departments begin teaching their students c++ as the foundation of learning OOP and such but it is very true that it is not the easiest for newbies to grasp, especially with memory pointers and all.
Old 11-24-2011, 09:29 AM   #16
sancprors32

Activity Longevity
0/20 8/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss1

Great advice for beginners just like myself. I find it little bit challenging since it requires immense concentration and understanding. It takes of course but I guess it's worth to pay the price in gaining the knowledge and experience. Never too late to learn!
Old 11-28-2011, 12:02 PM   #17
appleman001

Activity Longevity
0/20 8/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss1

I started out with loads of ebooks, teaching myself c# and then went on to c++. I would say start with the basics - "Hello world" type programs and if you get stuck try websites like codeproject and others. You`ll be fine, there`s loads of good (free) programming resources on the web.
Old 12-17-2011, 05:04 AM   #18
mojoc

Activity Longevity
0/20 8/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss1

Hi, everyone.

I have a great curiosity about programing language and have a great affection to learn it. Thanks to vineeta2k about your suggestion. But I heard sometimes people negotiate java language. Isn't it a great language?
Old 01-04-2012, 03:30 PM   #19
Reaperc89

Activity Longevity
0/20 8/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss4

I agree that C/C++ should NOT be the language you start with. If by chance you have the abnormal ability to grasp the logics, fundamentals and principles behind programming very naturally and swiftly, then it may not be an issue, though that is unlikely :P. I have used many different programming languages, and feel learning on something very simple such as BASIC, Visual Basic (either .NET, or even VBA) or even something such as python.

The thing to remember here is that you don't want to learn a language, you want to learn the concepts, the principles, and paradigms, and everything else associated with programming. After learning your first language, most other languages will be just a simple transition, granted you understand programming, and not just the language itself
Old 01-16-2012, 08:30 PM   #20
jreed25

Activity Longevity
0/20 8/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss1

One thing that I have found that will help you get the foundations of programming is Alice.org. It also has some basic tutorials included.
Closed Thread