Go Back   Game Career Guide Forums > Other > Game Studies
Forum Home Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08-28-2009, 09:02 PM   #11
lightnin2211

Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss6

Thanks for all your posts. I am really finding it difficult to narrow my choices down. Each course has its attractions. I think I'm going to apply to all of them and make a decision depending on where I get in. Cross the bridge when you reach it approach seems appropriate here.
lightnin2211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 11:26 PM   #12
oddible

Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss4

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightnin2211 View Post
Thanks for all your posts. I am really finding it difficult to narrow my choices down. Each course has its attractions. I think I'm going to apply to all of them and make a decision depending on where I get in. Cross the bridge when you reach it approach seems appropriate here.
Seriously, send emails to specific faculty that share your interests before you apply - make sure they do in fact share your interests. Then apply - you may save yourself the application fee. Also, it is good to have a faculty advocate when they're deciding who to accept.
oddible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 10:37 AM   #13
lightnin2211

Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss6

Thanks for all the replies. They have been very helpful. There are a few further questions I have.

1) I presume that in order to get a job post-graduation, I would have to have a portfolio of some kind. Would the coursework of a postgraduate course allow me to work on my portfolio concurrently? Should I start working on my portfolio right away or can it wait?

2) In terms of programming experience, I have a couple of internship stints on my resume. I haven't quite worked with graphics or any such game related area, but have worked on ASP.NET/C# projects. Would this add to my credentials in any way or should I try getting internships with a game focus?

Once again, I appreciate the time taken by you to answer my questions. Thank you again.
lightnin2211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 11:54 AM   #14
Monkeh

Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss58

If you're bright and self-motivated, it's always possible for you to just go ahead and start doing projects for yourself without paying a ton of money for others to teach you. You already have a Bachelor's Degree, maybe it's time to start getting work experience and teaching yourself the rest on your own time.
Monkeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 07:56 AM   #15
yashgoyani

Activity Longevity
0/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss1
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaustar View Post
To be honest, I would have thought your biggest concern would be cost/visa.working permit issues.

UK, USA and Japan have a large number of game studios compared to other countries. Canada is not too far behind with more popping up in Singapore and India.

Recognition of courses is always going to be subjective. It is unlikely that any company would have heard of a course from another country.
Did I hear India ? :P
I am in search for game development institute in INDIA.. Expecting some help..
Thanks and Regards,
Yash.
yashgoyani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 04:47 PM   #16
macrylinda

Activity Longevity
0/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss1

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightnin2211 View Post
Suitable in terms of post-graduation prospects and general industry recognition. Would I necessarily be at an advantage if I studied in America, due to the concentration of games studios in that part of the world?
To be honest, I would have thought your biggest concern would be cost/visa.working permit issues.

UK, USA and Japan have a large number of game studios compared to other countries. Canada is not too far behind with more popping up in Singapore and India.

Recognition of courses is always going to be subjective. It is unlikely that any company would have heard of a course from another country.
macrylinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 10:34 AM   #17
Adrir
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1461

Quote:
Originally Posted by lerrygibson View Post
hi,
I am Holding a Engineering degree in computer science and I like to know can I apply for post graduation in games programming?
There's nothing stopping you, is there?
Old 03-22-2011, 07:40 PM   #18
kmadhukishore

Activity Longevity
0/20 9/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss1

Hello there,

My Education Qualifications : I did my Bachelor Degree.
My Working Experience : I am an iOS developer and I developed couple of games(small 2D games) and applications.

This is all about me.

My dream is to do my masters in Game Development, because I want to learn/grow more in game development. And I want to do Masters in US, can you please help me what are the best universities that offer Masters in Gaming?

Any help is really appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Madhu.
kmadhukishore is offline   Reply With Quote