Forum Home Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2007, 10:56 AM   #11
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
1/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2270

What do you mean UK is not great for development?

We have Rare, Codemasters, EA, Traveller Tales, Introversion, Climax, Sony, Sega Racing, NCsoft, Media Molecule, Pivotal, Relentless, Lionhead, Ninja Theory, Realtime World, Rockstar, Core Design, Free Radical, Sumo Digital, and Team17 to name a few.
yaustar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 03:57 PM   #12
Red_5

Activity Longevity
0/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss14

We have the talent, no doubt but I meant in terms of benifits on the business side of things, tax benifits, dedicated courses to game design. Alot of other countries like Canada, North America and Scandinavia seem to attract more companies because of these.
Red_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 02:01 AM   #13
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
1/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2270

As for dedicated courses to game development, have you seen the list for Universities? It is huge (despite personal concerns on the quality of Education in games specific courses and a preference for traditional courses). It is at the point where there are more graduates then entry level jobs.

I admit the government doesn't seem to be helping but there are talks of tax breaks and whether it would actually help the industry (ref Develop magazine).
yaustar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 04:04 PM   #14
Thumper_34

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss59

First off

Red_5
"A lot of other countries like Canada, North America and Scandinavia seem to attract more companies because of these."

LoL North America is not a country. Just had to say that before my head exploded

The game industry is growing by leaps and bounds. Little shops are popping up everywhere, you just need to know how to network. try.
www.linkedin.com
Its a great way to keep in touch with current and past employees and maybe in future ones as well.
Old 01-05-2008, 03:43 AM   #15
Red_5

Activity Longevity
0/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss14

Neither is Scandinavia, I should have just left Canada out so it would have been covered by the continent North America.

Anyway, another point i'd like to make for the OP is because you have XSI you should look into getting Half Life 2 and using the Source SDK to mess around in. HL2 is only around 20 pounds and you can get some mod making tools free with it.

With XSI(I havent looked into it) you can export models into the Level editor( Valve Hammer Editor). I use C4D so I can't though I think i'll buy XSI. Good ol Student Discount
Red_5 is offline   Reply With Quote