shiftyninja

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss1
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by HagNasty View Post
I don't think it will be a problem. Working on a game with industry professionals will only make things better.

It looks like we have many more C++ guys out there so we should let that be our language of choice. Now that we have a language what engine should we use. We can either use lowLevel DirectX/OpenGL or an Engine of your choice.
I have experience with the following:
C++ (Heavily)
Haaf's Game Engine
OpenGL
XNA
Etc.

Specialize in:
Agile development
Enterprise software design and development
Data structures

I'm open to this project that I came across from some other site, and I'd like to be of help. I've made a few games myself in group settings and on my own.

Were we decided on 2D or 3D?

If we do 3D, I say we use something like Torque. Last thing I heard, if it's for non-profit, then it's free to use.

If we do 2D, and we're set on C++, then I say we use Haaf's Game Engine (HGE). It's easy to use, there is a lot of documentation, and a number of samples. It also has a lot of features to make great 2D games.

I'm finishing up a six-month internship and starting my senior project (single person project). The next two terms I have 10 classes to complete my BS in software engineering, an associates in hardware, and a minor in business. I'll also have a job on campus this January and running a GameDev club on campus. To sum things up, I'll be quite busy, but would like to add an extra hand to this project.

I'll try to get some more students involved on this project.

Looking forward to seeing where this goes.
shiftyninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 09:43 AM   #42
orin999

Activity Longevity
0/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss4

I vote for 3d. I have a level designer more than willing to help and could possible find a character modeler. The level designer builds his own assets for the most part and has a lot of 3d and texture experience.
orin999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 01:33 PM   #43
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 19/20
Today Posts
2/11 sssss2246

I always wanted to do this game design but never found the time to even start it: http://www.patrickcurry.com/thoughts...ea-5-pack-rat/

The scope is small enough for a few team members and is completely within several months.

HagNasty: When do you think you can setup a depot for source control and assets? It might be useful to a have a 'test' folder where team members can get to grips with using source control before project starts in earnest. Assembla looks like it would fit the bill.

Another concern is that everyone should be using the same tools whether it be Visual Studio Express, Code::Blocks or even notepad. Failing that, at least the same toolchain and have some form of building using that toolchain.
yaustar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 06:53 AM   #44
HagNasty
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss123

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaustar View Post
I always wanted to do this game design but never found the time to even start it: http://www.patrickcurry.com/thoughts...ea-5-pack-rat/

The scope is small enough for a few team members and is completely within several months.
I actually really like this idea.The breaking might be a little much but the packing is right on. The isometric view would be the best way to go but I suggest allowing the user to swing around at 90 degree intervals if they want to. This prevents items from blocking view.

Quote:
HagNasty: When do you think you can setup a depot for source control and assets? It might be useful to a have a 'test' folder where team members can get to grips with using source control before project starts in earnest. Assembla looks like it would fit the bill.
I'm in the process now of getting a dedicated server so that we can use SVN just give me a bit more time.

Quote:
Another concern is that everyone should be using the same tools whether it be Visual Studio Express, Code::Blocks or even notepad. Failing that, at least the same toolchain and have some form of building using that toolchain.
If we use Torque and I suggest we do for this game, we will all use the same thing. if has Torsion as well so the code will all be uniformly written.

What does everyone else think? This sound like a good project to start on? We do have a trade off to decide on still. Do we want katamari graphics that would require about 100 objects or do we want higer res objects that would require about 20-30?

C, C++, C#, Objective-C, Java, PHP, SQL, Javascript, Actionscript, HTML, CSS
HagNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 07:00 AM   #45
orin999

Activity Longevity
0/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss4

I think katamari graphics would better suit this game. If we go hi-res then we will lose the interest of the player unless we make it close to real. But if we keep the world hyper realistic then it would seem more fun and playable.
orin999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 07:47 AM   #46
HagNasty
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss123

I agree half the fun of Katamari is going What is that thing? And it will make it easier for us to create graphics for it that represent blocks or bricky shapes.

Now for the placing things stuff. Should we use physics to determin what items go where and what the breaking point is?

Old 12-11-2007, 06:55 PM   #47
HagNasty
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss123

Are people loosing interest here or just not like the idea? This is the Hump we need to get over. After we come up with a clear vision we will be fine.

Old 12-12-2007, 12:40 AM   #48
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 19/20
Today Posts
2/11 sssss2246

Quite simply, the whole thing is taking far to long to even start. You were still setting up the server about 2 weeks ago and you started the thread about a month ago. Its small wonder where the interest has gone.

There is no concrete list of all the team members.
No-one has any IM or contact details of the other members.
There is no project space/wiki/TRAC/etc.

We have the idea, what should have happened is that the team would have started on prototyping the gameplay to see if it is fun. Graphics doesn't matter at this stage and there shouldn't be any physics involved for the game as the idea states that each furniture piece is made up of blocks. Essential, this is 3D Tetris in a way.

The prototype development allows the team to become familiar with the libraries and allows the project lead to see the coding skill and style of each member. The time can also be used to setup all the extra material we need such as the Coding Style, timeline and a roadmap.

Last edited by yaustar : 12-12-2007 at 02:07 AM.
yaustar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 09:01 AM   #49
Gshonk

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss831

I've been extremely busy at school so I have been able to look in here much sorry.
Gshonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 06:05 PM   #50
ronnoc10

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss350

Quote:
Originally Posted by HagNasty View Post
Are people loosing interest here or just not like the idea? This is the Hump we need to get over. After we come up with a clear vision we will be fine.
I have to admit, I don't like the idea, but as I have no C++ experiance, I don't really have a say anyways...
ronnoc10 is offline   Reply With Quote