Forum Home Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-2010, 03:55 AM   #1
Garasin

Activity Longevity
0/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss4
Default Little Big Planet - Level Design

I am currently working on a level in Little Big Planet which is based on the feeling of isolation. I have set up this thread just for a place to discuss ideas and the how the feeling could be put across in the level.

I look forward to hearing some great ideas.
Garasin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 09:28 PM   #2
bob

Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss297

And you're not going to start us off? How about you tell us some of your ideas?

P.S. This should be in the design section.
Old 10-20-2010, 01:25 AM   #3
sunny05550

Activity Longevity
0/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss1

Hi Garasin, can you let me know what is the environment you are looking for to set isolation effect"feeling" ??
sunny05550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 07:33 AM   #4
Garasin

Activity Longevity
0/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss4
Default Isolation

Because the feeling of isolation can effect people differently I'm wondering how to approach the level. Should it be negative to represent how some people donít like feeling alone? Or should it represent the fact some people like the idea of being isolated from everyone else? For some people the idea of being alone on an island miles away from civilization is paradise but for others itís a personal hell.

I'm thinking using the vast wide of open world in Shadow of the Colossus as a source of inspiration. When riding through that land you get the feeling that Wander is indeed the only person roaming through the land.
Old 10-21-2010, 04:21 AM   #5
bob

Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss297

Garasin,

I think it could be very interesting if you went with the positive perspective on isolation. In the US we almost always consider isolation as very negative, like you said it is to some people. You almost never hear the word "isolation" talked about in a good way. I doubt many other people in your class will go with that.

What year are you? And which school?
Old 10-21-2010, 06:58 AM   #6
Garasin

Activity Longevity
0/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss4
Default Tranquility.

I'm at South Tyneside College based in the North East of England. I'm in my final year before I go onto university.

I do like the idea of an open and tranquil environment in which the level requires the player just relaxes and enjoys the experience without demanding too much from them.
Old 10-21-2010, 03:49 PM   #7
bob

Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss297

Do you think that the environment in Shadow of the Colossus really expressed isolation, or just... being alone? Isolation to me means there's really something keeping you from being with other people, not just that they happen not to be around.

SotC didn't ever make you feel like you needed other people though, so the lack of people was never bothersome. I don't know... How's your idea coming along?
Old 10-22-2010, 06:35 AM   #8
Garasin

Activity Longevity
0/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss4

Another place I was looking to for inspiration was Silent Hill 2. Even with monsters and other characters James was very much alone in Silent Hill. The problem is the feeling of isolation in Silent Hill 2 was very much a negative feeling. What do you malke of that?

So far the level has been designed to make everything in it feel and appear large. Because of the large set pieces, platforms and puzzles the player feels much smaller and as a result they directly feel part of a world that is much grander than themselves.
Old 10-22-2010, 07:49 AM   #9
bob

Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss297

Hmm. Big set peices that make you feel a part of a grander world. Ya know, I could abstract what you're saying, and kind of analyse my own interpretation of what that means, but it would probably be pretty useless. Can you post some a fraps, or maybe some screenshots of what you have so far? I'd love to keep giving you feedback on this, but I don't think I'll be much help without actually seeing it.

Still, I guess I'll give you my thoughts while I'm writing. I think making the player feel part of a much larger world could go lots of different places. It could make them feel like a foreigner, like someone who is being left out by the bigger people... I don't know where you would get the positive experience of isolation from. Could you elaborate on how you think it makes them feel isolated? Or better yet, post some screens.
Old 10-31-2010, 07:35 PM   #10
zoraxbrooks

Activity Longevity
0/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss2

it might help to make it seem forbidden,maybe put in some signs indicating quarantine or restriction. sometimes creepy-ness and/or wierdness make something seem empty. darkness also could create some mystery
zoraxbrooks is offline   Reply With Quote