Forum Home Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 07:32 AM   #11
Claxon

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss345

Great to hear your ideas. How is work on them progressing. Personally i'm working on a lemmings clone. I'm not sure yet whether i'll keep it the same as the original, or if i'll try adding my own skills and gameplay twists. The basics are in place now: lemmings walk forward, up and down steps and turn if they hit a wall. I've got the destructable scenary functioning and i'm currently working on the level editor, adding useful features.
Old 03-28-2010, 09:32 AM   #12
Protector one

Activity Longevity
2/20 17/20
Today Posts
1/11 ssssss692

Destructable scenery... Gwwwl...
I once made a platformer prototype where you had a gun that blew big holes in the level. Didn't evolve into anything, but boy, was it fun tinkering with it.

As for my progress in the challenge, I'm still in prototyping phase. I have a vanilla level to play with; now working on ray tracing-like code for mah lazor.
Old 03-28-2010, 08:50 PM   #13
Nilbmar

Activity Longevity
0/20 12/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss26

Whats the likelihood of the entry date being extended? Heh, I'm still working out my concept for the "battles." I do have a storyline idea though.

The main character is a game designer trying desperately to get his original IP approved. He recruits other team members to his side (who you play the part of, helping him to argue his points..or backstabbing him) until he can persuade the producers. I'm thinking those heated discussions will be the battles, each character you control giving advice or making important points that in turn boost the hero's chances of success.

Seriously, I might not get it done in time, but even if I don't the challenge inspired me atleast and I'll post a link when it is done.
Old 03-29-2010, 12:00 AM   #14
Claxon

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss345

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilbmar View Post
Whats the likelihood of the entry date being extended? Heh, I'm still working out my concept for the "battles." I do have a storyline idea though.
I'd rather not extend the deadline, since a fixed deadline is a good thing to aim for. If it moves easily, you get into a stage of Perpetual development ("It'll be ready when it's ready"). You still have over a month of development time, but if there is enough of a consensus I might push it back a couple of weeks.
Old 03-29-2010, 12:11 AM   #15
Nilbmar

Activity Longevity
0/20 12/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss26

I was just joking actually, deadlines are good practice. I think we all hate it when a game's release keeps getting pushed back.
Old 03-29-2010, 02:14 AM   #16
Claxon

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss345

Haha, that depends on whether you're in the team working on it or not!
Old 03-29-2010, 05:12 AM   #17
Claxon

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss345

Just thought I'd keep you updated with my progress with a little screenshot of the current state of my Game and Level Editor. It'd be great to see shots of how everyone else is doing.

Ps. Don't forget that if you have a problem you can ask for advice here. There are a few us us around that can help with most problems.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg preview.jpg (76.3 KB, 13 views)
Old 03-29-2010, 09:54 AM   #18
Protector one

Activity Longevity
2/20 17/20
Today Posts
1/11 ssssss692

Oh wow, awesomeness! I wasn't expecting an actual Lemmings clone when you said "Lemming's clone". :P
Old 03-29-2010, 10:15 AM   #19
Claxon

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss345

Haha well it might not end that way. I basically got a hold of the lemmings sprites, because it was faster for the prototyping than drawing my own, and i'm focussing on the code at the moment. It all depends on whether i get any ideas that i think will work as well as lemmings did!
Old 04-04-2010, 10:28 AM   #20
Claxon

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss345

For one of you mods out there, can we makes this thread sticky instead of challenge 2?
Closed Thread