Forum Home Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2008, 09:06 AM   #1
Siberianhusky89

Activity Longevity
0/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss156
Default What's your best bet for

What's your best bet for a good quality video game midi program? I have a good amount of experience with music theory and how music works and I want to try using Midi programs to just have some practice starting with Midi Programs, but what would you recommend? I've searched on sites and usually they've given me huge lists. Thanks
Siberianhusky89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 11:59 AM   #2
Gshonk

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss831

Your best place to ask would be here http://www.gameaudioforum.com
Gshonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 10:51 PM   #3
nef

Activity Longevity
0/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siberianhusky89 View Post
What's your best bet for a good quality video game midi program? I have a good amount of experience with music theory and how music works and I want to try using Midi programs to just have some practice starting with Midi Programs, but what would you recommend? I've searched on sites and usually they've given me huge lists. Thanks
My best bet would be don't use midi files. Why would you? The mp3 format is small and usable, it costs money but you can use .ogg files instead.

midi files in general, sounds like shit and are unprofessional in todays market. Fuck em. If you have to use a .wav file (which you don't) stream it on a separate thread.
nef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 10:49 PM   #4
Siberianhusky89

Activity Longevity
0/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss156

I guess so, I know how to make music either way so I wouldn't really need to ask for help doing it, I just don't know have professional recording equipment and such to do so. I actually play instruments and understand music theory.
Siberianhusky89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 07:46 PM   #5
nef

Activity Longevity
0/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siberianhusky89 View Post
I guess so, I know how to make music either way so I wouldn't really need to ask for help doing it, I just don't know have professional recording equipment and such to do so. I actually play instruments and understand music theory.
Hmm, i don't remember writing my first reply, but i think i agree w/ it still

I think I misunderstood your question, are you looking for "the best" program to create midi files for games?

if so, I can't answer that. I have no idea about what the music industry deems the best, but if your question was what's the best way to play midi music in a game, then I stand by my last post

Make your music as you see fit. As a coder, i don't care how the music is played, just what format it's in. I think I'm to young to possibly ever consider using midi files in a game, so give the format to your engineer in what ever he CAN use. Just ask, what format do you want the music in?

Your obviously able to put it in any format you want.

Hell at my company, all the monkey sounds are made by our QA lead in god knows what program :P He gives me the wav/ogg file and i play it, no questions asked hah.
nef is offline   Reply With Quote