Old 11-14-2012, 08:33 PM   #1
timvee

Activity Longevity
0/20 5/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss3
Default Stuck

Hi everyone,

I'm really glad this forum is here. I've been 6 months in my career in the industry and I'm not sure what to do next.

I work for a startup mobile developer. When my company took me in, I had no experience as a game dev but passed their battery of tests and interviews. Half a year later, most of the office is talking about jumping ship. The long work hours (I expect this anywhere), inadequate compensation and toxic work environment is getting to everyone. There are some days that I get home and start questioning my own self-worth. The company pushes us hard and is quite unforgiving even of the smallest mistakes. I know I sound like I'm whining, but most of the time, I've actually been on the receiving end of these rants at the office.

I've been setting my sights abroad (Canada, Australia, NZ) for the following reasons:

1. Most of the game devs in my country are startups and I want be in a company that actually knows what it's doing and has a definite direction.
2. In relation to number 1, I want to work for a bigger developer that can provide a level of training and specialization that I need to have a career in the industry.
3. I want to work on a AAA game or at least any game that's cool enough for me to care about.

I've scoped out some job boards and feel like I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. Though I've been thinking about applying as a tester, I've already been a sound designer, lead designer, writer and assistant producer on 5 or 6 apps the company has done (Yes, it's been a very compressed 6 months). I can't claim to be a true expert in any of these fields, but I feel like I have a bit more familiarity with what goes on in a cycle than an average QA does (not to put them down or anything cause I've been that too). Oh, and one of the apps I was lead designer for won an award from Samsung this year.

What I want to know is, is my plan of working overseas feasible and if yes, what positions am I qualified for with my variegated experiences in the 6 months I've been working? I'm gunning for assistant producer or junior designer but I don't know if I'm qualified for those jobs. I have minimal knowledge in programming and 2d/3d modelling. Thanks for listening!
timvee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:50 PM   #2
tsloper
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
3/20 14/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss1870
Default Re: Stuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by timvee View Post
Hi everyone,
1. I work for a startup mobile developer. ...most of the office is talking about jumping ship. The long work hours (I expect this anywhere), inadequate compensation and toxic work environment is getting to everyone.
2. I've been setting my sights abroad (Canada, Australia, NZ) ... Most of the game devs in my country are startups
3. I've been 6 months in my career... I've scoped out some job boards and feel like I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place.
4. is my plan of working overseas feasible
5. what positions am I qualified for with my variegated experiences in the 6 months I've been working? I'm gunning for assistant producer or junior designer but I don't know if I'm qualified for those jobs.
1. Definitely a toxic job. You are right to want out. Still, you should not burn bridges (don't quit in a blaze of expletives - give notice and work your best through the last day).
2. These statements beg the question: what country do you live in now?
3. Yes. 6 months experience won't get you a job that needs 2 years experience.
4. I don't have enough information. You seem fluent in English, so that's good. You need to research the immigration requirements of those countries. But with just 6 months experience, it's going to be really tough to get hired long-distance. Maybe if you can wangle work-legal status in one of those countries before applying.
5. You worked at a small company, which always means you performed a wide variety of tasks. You should look for another small company.

PLEASE do not use this website's PM feature to contact me.
tsloper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:24 PM   #3
timvee

Activity Longevity
0/20 5/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss3
Talking Re: Stuck

Quote:
1. Definitely a toxic job. You are right to want out. Still, you should not burn bridges (don't quit in a blaze of expletives - give notice and work your best through the last day).
2. These statements beg the question: what country do you live in now?
3. Yes. 6 months experience won't get you a job that needs 2 years experience.
4. I don't have enough information. You seem fluent in English, so that's good. You need to research the immigration requirements of those countries. But with just 6 months experience, it's going to be really tough to get hired long-distance. Maybe if you can wangle work-legal status in one of those countries before applying.
5. You worked at a small company, which always means you performed a wide variety of tasks. You should look for another small company.
1. As much as I dislike certain people in the company, working there paid my bills. It's just a matter of me holding on long enough until I find something else.
2 & 4 I live in the Philippines in SE Asia and have a valid US tourist visa. I hear NZ, Australia and Canada are more open to immigrants though. I'll look into it further.
3. I was afraid of this. Also, I don't think anyone is willing to hire an expat for an easily filled entry level position like QA.
5. Another alternative I've considered is getting a dayjob somewhere and being an indie after work.

Thanks for the advice, Tsloper!
timvee is offline   Reply With Quote