Originally Posted by halleylight
1.p. How much background knowledge about programming ... should a game designer know ?
... how good at programming/... a game designer should be before he/she starts applying for a game designer job ?
1.a. How much background knowledge about programming and art should a game designer know ?
... how good at ...drawing ... a game designer should be before he/she starts applying for a game designer job ?
2. Are all professional game designers scientists ?
3. I have read so many game design-related books and articles about scientific things such as
Procedural Content Generation: Thinking With Modules
On Player Characters and Self Expression
5. Do professional game designers always talk about these things while working ?
0. How much knowledge is enough to start applying jobs for a Game Designer
1.p. Bad question. All designers are not created identically. YOU should know as much programming as you want to know. Read these articles:
1.a. Enough to illustrate your ideas and designs, so that when no artist is available to help you illustrate your ideas and designs, you can communicate effectively.
2. No. Are all fingers thumbs?
3. That is not a game design article. It's a programming article. I see that for some strange reason it's been tagged a design article by Gamasutra, but maybe only because it considered ideas like how the code affects gameplay, and wasn't a great fit with the other purely programming-centric articles. I think a lot of game designers would find their heads spinning trying to read and absorb it all.
4. This designer is sharing his deep thinking about the emotional connections players can form with their game characters. I think most professional game designers would read this and say, "wow, he's really thought about this. Wish I could write such a great article too."
0. Nothing is ever "enough." You need lots of other things besides knowledge. You need experience, a breaking in pathway, and luck.