View Single Post
Old 01-11-2012, 03:17 PM   #8
iSmartMan

Activity Longevity
0/20 8/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss18
Default Re: Good to know besides programming?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsloper View Post
1. But you knew you ought to study physics and psychology. Those are excellent choices -- your own instincts are better than you seem to think.

2. a. You will be working on a team, whose ultimate goal is to create games. If you're just going to be a silent team member with no opinions on how the game should be designed, then you don't need to study things relevant to game design. Everybody else on the team will have such opinions, and they are likely to expect you to chime in.

2. b. Being able to appreciate art and music would make you a well-rounded person. If you were just about bits and bytes, you'd be a boring person. Taking some sort of martial art will boost your self-confidence. And moving your body is a good thing. I agree with the previous post that acting is an excellent thing for any member of a game team to know. If you don't want to study any martial arts or acting, then how about dance? It'll make you a well-rounded person, and better able to enjoy activities with partners of the opposite sex (or the same sex, if so inclined).

3. You could also take a course in business, a course in management, marketing. Such subjects will better prepare you for working in the game industry, no matter what role you play.
Okay, I'm pretty sure the misunderstanding was on my part, so...
1. Those were just the two most obvious to me. When I started this thread, my hope was to get ideas beyond those two and really see what my options were, especially since it would take quite a few courses to be eligible for high-level Psych courses, and the high-level Physics courses tend to be oriented towards quantum and nuclear physics.

2a. THIS is where I think the misunderstanding was. I was under the impression that there tended to be 3 main groups working on a game's content (artists, programmers, and designers), and each group tended to not directly influence the others. If a programmer could give suggestions to the designers without them resenting it as someone else "telling them how to do their job", then that opens up some options.

2b & 3. I've actually been taking martial arts lessons for 15 years, and am currently one rank below black belt in my class. As for the other suggestions, I'll take them under advisement (which I hadn't been doing before I started this thread, see 2a)

Thanks for the help! Whenever I ask for help on something like this, it always seems like there's some misconception I have that ends up being the root of my problem.