Game Career Guide Forums

Game Career Guide Forums (http://www.gamecareerguide.com/forums/index.php)
-   Writing (http://www.gamecareerguide.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Writing? (http://www.gamecareerguide.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6046)

Da Splatter Man 09-30-2012 07:17 AM

Writing?

I'm only in 10th grade and want to just be involved with videogames. Wether designing, testing, writing? So I used to write short story's in 3rd grade, I've stopped since, but I love to write especially for a cause! So what does it take to write for designers?

tsloper 09-30-2012 07:42 AM

Re: Writing?

It takes better command of your native language than you exhibit in your post, for starters. Assuming that your native language is English, that is.
Work to improve your writing ability -- your spelling, your use of apostrophes and punctuation, and take some creative writing courses.
And above all, write, write, write. Write short stories, write game stories, write comic stories, write TV episodes, just write.

Da Splatter Man 09-30-2012 08:34 AM

So I guess all these English classes aren't for nothing. Thanks

cavegmer 12-07-2012 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsloper (Post 28902)
And above all, write, write, write. Write short stories, write game stories, write comic stories, write TV episodes, just write.

Yep, that's all there is to it... just write.

MattInce 12-12-2012 11:11 AM

There are lots of people on here looking for people to review games, that is a start, I am looking for someone to edit news stories and write reviews for my website. Have a look at my site http://www.igr.me and check out the news section, I want someone to read through the games press stories and add a couple of news features a day. Contact me if you're interested.

If not and you just want to write stories for games then there is no quick solution, write about everything, keep a diary and write about your day, every day, write stories, create characters, write about their back story and flesh them out. Most of all, get some tough skin and listen to the criticism about your writing, don't sulk when people say it sucks, just make it better and get them to read it again.

Good luck

PS Not sure what age 10th grade makes you so I guess you must be almost ready to leave school. You may have to do something else before you get your dream job, BUT DON'T GIVE UP

riskymonk 01-22-2013 02:07 AM

Alot of fellas in the gaming industry would have some sort of university education and so of course go to college then Uni in your chosen field of work. Another thing you can do along the way is pick a genre and write your own short storys. Its best if you stick with one genre but if youd like to experiment with other genres then you should do so, it will only enhance your knowledge as you will definitely be learning and improving as you do your research into different genres.

Get these storys out there, not everyone will like them maybe no one will like them. Thats natural you just need to understand what they didnt like about your story and avoid that or at least work your way around it for next time.

Awkward Pegasus 01-25-2013 01:28 PM

I'm also in the business of writing for video games. I'm just starting out, so you might want to take my advice with a grain of salt, but I've found that people in the game design world look for people who are stand out from the crowd. Essentially, people who are "experts". It's hard to make people view you as an "expert" when you're younger (I'm twenty two, and so I'm facing a similar problem), so the key is to set yourself up as someone who is different. Someone who's special. Which, believe me, takes balls. And the ugly truth is you don't become special by doing the same things as everyone else.

Take some risks and differentiate yourself from other writers. For example, I've set myself and my business up as a story structure expert, meaning I've done a lot of research on how stories progress emotionally and can link that to how stories sync up with gameplay. E.X. how the new weapons in Zelda work within its story structure and how they re-enforce each other emotionally.

I guess the summary of my advice is to constantly do research outside the topic of game development and then bring it back and share it with other game designers. Right now I'm reading a book on neuroscience and how our brains react scientifically to certain events in a story. It helps make me valuable because it's information that other writers within the field probably don't have. Always share your knowledge, but the more you know that other people don't know, the more special you become and the more reason there is for someone to trust and/or hire you. And the only way to learn things others don't know about is to look where they're not looking. Read up on poetry and musical theatre, not just on game design.

I hope that helped! And also, if you're looking for more technical information on how stories work, you can follow my business' facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/AwkwardPegasusStudios?fref=ts
I put out daily tips on how story structure works, and I put up articles on it every Thursday. (Which is another business strategy, by the way. The more you keep learning and keep sharing your information, the easier it is to present yourself as an "expert". Doing it regularly in a public manner helps them remember that you exist. That way, when they need a writer, they'll think "hey, what about that guy with the facebook posts?")

XX8594 07-20-2014 12:49 PM

Great advice Awkward Pegasus - tsloper I would have to disagree with you as style is more important than proper grammar. Most readers including myself could care less that he gets the comma in the correct place. I care about content and learning something. I am not reading his article to learn how to use comma's correctly.

Adrir 07-20-2014 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XX8594 (Post 31885)
Most readers including myself could care less that he gets the comma in the correct place. I care about content and learning something.

It is rarely the case that readers associate poor writing with either professionalism or clarity of thought. Furthermore, poor grammar makes content difficult to understand. Learning is increased through clear, professional, and otherwise easily understood writing.

Additionally, this post is over a year old. It is not appropriate to respond to such old threads. As such, this thread will be locked.