Game Career Guide Forums

Game Career Guide Forums (http://www.gamecareerguide.com/forums/index.php)
-   Programming (http://www.gamecareerguide.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   C++ game coding (http://www.gamecareerguide.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5838)

drakebell09 04-20-2012 07:58 PM

C++ game coding

Hello all. So I've been browsing around lately, I have been getting better at C++(still not good, but better). I downloaded an engine called blender which is from my understanding a graphics engine. My question being since I am new to game programming, what is a good place to start out using C++. I heard SFML was not bad (2D graphics from what Ive read), ogre3d, and irrlicht as far begginer engines because of there ease of use (I should say easier, not by any means easy). My concern is blender able to become compatable with these engines? I want to stick with C++ I enjoy using it alot, and would like a good begginner game engine that I could work with basic graphics, coding, animation 2d or 3d whichever you think would be easiest for me to start with. As far as blender goes, it does seem easy to use I just dont want to continue on with it, if it will not be compatible with c++ in general, as c++ is my language of choice. Any good input would be greatly appreciated, maybe what engine you started off with, or if you could point me in the right direction that would be great. Thank you for your time.

yaustar 04-21-2012 02:56 AM

Re: C++ game coding

Blender is a art modelling package rather then an engine. It CAN be used as an engine but there are more appropriate engines out there.

Blender can export models to quite a few file types so it should be pretty to use an models you create in ogre3d, irrlicht, SFML SDL etc.

drakebell09 04-21-2012 09:05 AM

Ok thank you, that actually clears up alot, I was getting so many mixed signals in my research about blender that I couldnt really decide what to do with it. Basically it is used for modeling graphics which you can import export to various game engines. That being said though, whats a good "game" engine to start out with being a c++ programmer. Is it kind of just take your preference and hold on until you start getting good at it, or is there environments that are more suited for beggining c++ game design that sort of ease you into the more complex details. Thank you.

Chambers 07-02-2012 08:56 AM

I would say that in general its best to use something like SMFL or SDL at first creating clones of simple 2D games such as Space Invaders then once you become comfortable enough with expanding these relatively simple games, move onto something like DirectX or OpenGL and create your own engine to suit your needs. There are plenty of books available to help you learn the more advanced topics of C++, I'd recommend looking through some of them on Amazon and picking one which appeals to you.

drakebell09 07-02-2012 10:43 AM

Ok thank you. Yes I have been trying my hand at SFML. I quickly learned I need to learn a bit more about c++ to more effective with it. Thank you for the advice its much appreciated. I think once I am comfortable with cloning simpler games ill try my hand at working with direct x or open gl.