Game Career Guide Forums

Game Career Guide Forums (http://www.gamecareerguide.com/forums/index.php)
-   More Careers (http://www.gamecareerguide.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Strange/Unique Question (http://www.gamecareerguide.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5664)

cowens003 01-03-2012 07:11 PM

Strange/Unique Question
 
Are there any specific positions (job titles) in any studios that determine which items (such as weapons, equipment, uniforms and vehicles) are appropriate for games or simulators? I have heard of military consultants being hired for similar aspects. I'm mainly referring to military games such as first person shooters.

It probably sounds like a very odd question, but I haven't had any luck researching this subject so far.


Thanks in advance,

Chris

tsloper 01-03-2012 09:59 PM

Re: Strange/Unique Question
 
A game designer could easily determine whether it's appropriate to use a throwing star or a handheld laser bazooka if it's a game that takes place in feudal Japan. Why would he need a specialist in weapon determination for that?

Have you read about game jobs in detail? Why do you ask this question? Are you in the military and looking ahead to after you're discharged?

cowens003 01-07-2012 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsloper (Post 27564)
A game designer could easily determine whether it's appropriate to use a throwing star or a handheld laser bazooka if it's a game that takes place in feudal Japan.

I should have worded that question better; I didnít mean appropriate in that context. I mean the correct (the specific model) weapons used by factions. This also includes specific pieces of equipment such as optics, grenades, and various weapon attachments/accessories.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsloper (Post 27564)
Why would he need a specialist in weapon determination for that?

The detailed information Iím referring to isnít common knowledge. A studio that wishes to develop an authentic game would require such details.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsloper (Post 27564)
Have you read about game jobs in detail? Why do you ask this question? Are you in the military and looking ahead to after you're discharged?

Yes, I have and that is why I asked. Iím currently an SGD (Simulation and Game Design) student.

tsloper 01-07-2012 05:59 PM

Re: Strange/Unique Question
 
Game designers routinely have to do research in the course of their jobs. It's very easy to do research on the internet. The position you describe is far too narrow and specialized to be a viable career.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 08:38 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.