Game Career Guide Forums

Game Career Guide Forums (http://www.gamecareerguide.com/forums/index.php)
-   More Careers (http://www.gamecareerguide.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Marketing/Design Challenge: Marketing Bullets (http://www.gamecareerguide.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1690)

jillduffy 09-10-2008 05:55 AM

Marketing/Design Challenge: Marketing Bullets

Discuss your ideas and tactics for a solution here for the challenge Marketing Bullets.

jillduffy 09-10-2008 06:05 AM

Marketing Bullets

I will get things started by posing a few questions:

1. What kinds of words or phrases push you to make a game purchase?
2. What is your personal criteria when deciding whether to buy a game: reviews (if so, by whom?), box art, developer or publisher name, something else?
3. Would you use humor in your marketing bullet points for this kind of game? Why or why not? Would you use double entendres or puns?

Roxanne BP 09-10-2008 06:19 AM

Just to be sure:

Is the game's title Region of Honor or Reign of Honor? It's quite confusing in the challenge text... :confused:

jillduffy 09-10-2008 06:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roxanne BP (Post 8287)
Just to be sure:

Is the game's title Region of Honor or Reign of Honor? It's quite confusing in the challenge text... :confused:

Wow. That was some typo on my part! It's REIGN of Honor, though I think Region of Honor would be pretty funny: "The honor, you know, is sort of in this general area."

dornad 09-10-2008 06:32 AM

Hi, I'm new to the forums. Pleased to meet everyone.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roxanne BP (Post 8287)
Just to be sure:

I think Region of Honor is a typo. It's Reign of Honor.

Roxanne BP 09-10-2008 06:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jillduffy (Post 8286)
I will get things started by posing a few questions:

1. What kinds of words or phrases push you to make a game purchase?
2. What is your personal criteria when deciding whether to buy a game: reviews (if so, by whom?), box art, developer or publisher name, something else?
3. Would you use humor in your marketing bullet points for this kind of game? Why or why not? Would you use double entendres or puns?

1. I prefer when they tell us credible facts about their game rather than big marketing phrases that means nothing at all. Also, reviews help me a lot to make a choice... it seems stupid, but when it is wrote on the box: "Award winner" or "Made by the developers of "X" popular game", it has an influence. However, I hate the classic "Game of the year". If it was true, every game on the market would be THE game of the year. We are not that stupid...

2. As I said, reviews are a most for any serious gamer. Casual gamers will not search alot for reviews, but if they heard positive comments about a game, they will check for it. Box art is really important too. It is the first impression. When I know nothing about a game and I'm looking for nothing in particular, I will be more likely to take the box and be interested about the game if the cover art is amazing. Developer (more than publisher) name is important to me, but not really for casual gamers.

3. For a WWII game, I would avoid humor, while there is no humor in the game anyway. Patriotic feeling seems more appropriated. Players of this kind of games want to be taken seriously, I guess.

EmilyK 09-10-2008 06:44 AM

Hmm, I've never actually played a WWII game, for some reason I've avoided them with the vague idea that re-enacting a world war cannot possibly be fun!

...Having said that I've just noticed I have a copy of Brothers In Arms: Road to hill 30 and I've never played it :eek:

Kodiak 09-10-2008 06:59 AM

Here's my short and sweet proposal:

1. Two Words:
2. Kick
3. @ss

:D

akilbandele 09-10-2008 07:11 AM

I think that great box art and exciting imagery are major points of interest for me when i am purchasing a game.

dornad 09-10-2008 07:36 AM

and here's mine:

1. best
2. game
3. ever

:D:D:D